• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Now for something completely different - I hope this has a good story to tell…

8 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2023 at 5:43 PM, J P M said:

Ah---------- what proof is there that this is what it is?

CAG, or Collectibles Authentification Guaranty, by their own telling, are experts in determining provenance.  To begin to answer your question, one would have to pore through their website and review some of the references others have made about them.  That would take time but I imagine it would be well worth it if these sorts of artifacts are of interest to others. Talk about a niche area of interest!  🤣

Edited by Henri Charriere
Preliminary edit: add word

Mystery solved!  CAG, as defined above, is grouped with NGC amongst the acronyms, NCS, PMG, CGC, ASG, CSG [and CAG]. If there be something popularly known as "guilt by association," then the other side of the coin is "vetting or validation by association."

Whether the wood swatch has a story to tell will depend on the price realized with the fall of the gavel.  I have no opinion on the matter.

No different than the pieces of the Wright Flyer authenticated by CAG, or all the Space race artifacts. CAG is guaranteeing the authenticity, but I don't know how. (shrug) I wonder if they provide something documenting provenance,  custodianship, testing, etc.?

On 7/1/2023 at 7:36 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

No different than the pieces of the Wright Flyer authenticated by CAG, or all the Space race artifacts. CAG is guaranteeing the authenticity, but I don't know how. (shrug) I wonder if they provide something documenting provenance,  custodianship, testing, etc.?

I have a piece of burned O-ring from the Challenger explosion. My father in law was in the recovery and re-assemble squad. Marine Corps Mustang Officer.

Unless an authenticating organization will publicly present its data, the slabbed item is just a wood chip off the coal bin. The burden of proof is on the authenticator.

See: https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/10-facts-lees-headquarters-gettysburg

Edited by RWB

On 7/1/2023 at 8:36 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I do know the 1903 original resides at the National Air and Space Museum in Washinton, D.C. I would imagine it would not be difficult to establish authenticity.  Three reproductions were also built in time for the Wright's centennial flight in 2003.  (Having been dubbed a "Rising Star" by NGC, there shall undoubtedly come a time when my word, bolstered by the strength of my deportment and hirsute good looks, shall be accepted as gospel truth in matters regarding authentification.)  🤣