• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GTG: 1793 Wreath Cent, S-11c lettered edge
1 1

16 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2023 at 7:38 AM, Just Bob said:

I would call it AG, but PCGS probably graded it Good.

Agree, would be details if it weren't an early copper. No disparagement intended, I like the coin. 

On 6/29/2023 at 10:48 AM, LINCOLNMAN said:

Agree, would be details if it weren't an early copper. No disparagement intended, I like the coin. 

Ditto. I would add that coin to my collection without hesitation. 

Edited by Just Bob
I misspoke.

While I would love to own this coin, I cannot gtg to be above FR02. Below are Photogrades sample of a FR02 Wreath cent. JMO

Jim

Wreath Cent (1793) FR02

Wreath Cent (1793) FR02

For reasons I myself cannot begin to fathom, I would not accept this cent (or any other remotely like it, with or without a wreath, in its present deplorable condition) if it were offered to me for one cent -- or free.  In fact, if the Chief Executive Officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York threw open its doors and stated in plain English everything held within the walls of the impregnable fortress were mine, under one condition: receiving and accepting this coin (in my eyes worth less than melt) I would graciously decline, and do so politely. There isn't a numismatist worthy of his calling who would take this cent home and present it to his mother for her approval. 🤣

On 6/29/2023 at 8:07 PM, jesbroken said:

While I would love to own this coin, I cannot gtg to be above FR02. Below are Photogrades sample of a FR02 Wreath cent. JMO

Jim

Wreath Cent (1793) FR02

J

I know not the first thing about this coin, but I have uncovered a few purported facts...

Chief among them is:  "GOOD is the worst grade a 1793 Large Cent can receive."  Both coins, the OP's, and the one featured in Photograde, appear to be holdered, but the latter has no suggestion of a date.

All vestiges of the encircling chain on the reverse (which the public objected to) have been worn down.

There would be little point in insisting on a shot of the edge. I trust it is lettered, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

As is, the OP's copper cent, in its present state, is worth a little more than four (4) troy ounces of pure gold.  One can safely deduce being one of the very first produced by the U.S. Mint for its inaugural run and its scarcity, make this coin special.

On 7/8/2023 at 12:54 PM, Henri Charriere said:

All vestiges of the encircling chain on the reverse (which the public objected to) have been worn down.

Neither the OP's coin nor the Photograde example posted by Jim had a chain on the reverse that was "worn down". They have a wreath on the reverse. That is why they are called "wreath cents."

There was a cent minted in 1793 that had a chain on the reverse.

It was called a "chain cent." ;)

On 7/8/2023 at 1:54 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I know not the first thing about this coin, but I have uncovered a few purported facts...

Chief among them is:  "GOOD is the worst grade a 1793 Large Cent can receive."  Both coins, the OP's, and the one featured in Photograde, appear to be holdered, but the latter has no suggestion of a date.

There would be little point in insisting on a shot of the edge. I trust it is lettered, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

As is, the OP's copper cent, in its present state, is worth a little more than four (4) troy ounces of pure gold.  One can safely deduce being one of the very first produced by the U.S. Mint for its inaugural run and its scarcity, make this coin special.

There is a very good reason for asking for a picture of the edge, there were varieties with vine and bar edges and varieties with lettered edges.

On 7/9/2023 at 8:28 AM, EarlyUS.com said:

For what it's worth, ......

My guess would be upwards of 3 grand in today's market.;)

Edited by Just Bob