• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can NCS help this Lincoln 1914D?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hello @CurtM14, thank you for contacting us. NCS Conservation will need to have your coin in hand to confirm if conservation may benefit your coin. However, you may visit our Coin Conservation | NCS web page to review defects that NCS may or may not be able to assist with. We hope this helps!

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

As having just submitted a handful of coins to NCS for consideration and three out of four accepted, one was a merchant token from 1858-1860 with dark spots. NCS conserved this token, but I learned from the process once there is environmental damage to the surface such as is the case on your Lincoln Wheat Cent, conservation can "lessen" the severity of the spots but cannot remove them. Once the surface is compromised through environmental damage, it is permanent. Conservation also cannot restore red color to Lincoln cents that have turned RB or BN.

Those look like fingerprints. I have a feeling that what Powermad said is correct. You may be able to change the appearance, but I doubt you can get rid of it entirely without severely altering the look and color of the coin. Anything that would completely remove the spots would almost certainly make the coin look unnatural and cleaned.

NCS conservation will stabilize the surface of the coin to prevent further spread of issues, so if that is what you are looking to do for the coin then by all means send it in to NCS. I was simply stating there are limitations on what conservation will achieve for the coin itself and for its appearance as sometimes people on the forums here think that conservation can magically remove all the problems a coin has. Not saying that was your intent in your original post, but I was just relaying some ground truth on NCS as I have sent a number of coins to them over time.