• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1776 curency coin
1 1

15 posts in this topic

@HuntLoco--Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please compare your item to the photos of a genuine Continental Dollar shown in my post on this topic from June 24th. Your piece is almost certainly one of the countless "replicas" sold as souvenirs over the years. They have no value.

Please also note that you should never allow a coin you think may have value to be in contact with your bare hands, as your skin secretes oils that can react with and discolor coin metal. If you must touch such a coin, hold it only by its edges.   

@BRANDON1979, your coin with its weak, mushy details is a telltale sign of a coin that is counterfeit. I can also see on the rim of your coin where it had an attaching point as would be for a piece that was used as jewelry as in a necklace. None of the genuine specimens has a mounting on them.

@HuntLoco, your coin also exhibits the same weak and mushy details, typical of a counterfeit of these pieces. I also agree with @Sandon, until you have information on whether or not a coin is genuine or counterfeit, you should handle all coins only by their edges, as in the coin being a legitimate rare piece until you have information otherwise.

On 6/24/2023 at 10:43 PM, Sandon said:

... rare "Continental Dollar" ... photos of this genuine one from the NGC Coin Explorer

Aren't there several possible metal types that present differently as they weather and wear like silver, pewter and brass.  Is that one pewter or possibly silver?

On 9/8/2023 at 1:42 PM, EagleRJO said:

Aren't there several possible metal types that present differently as they weather and wear like silver, pewter and brass.  Is that one pewter or possibly silver?

Yes, continental pieces are known in pewter, brass and silver.  However, they look nothing like the coins in these posts.  A silver continental was considered the first American silver dollar, and as such have brought prices over a million dollars in auction.  However, recent research has concluded pretty definitively these are not made in America, but were basically tokens/medals sold overseas (England) using the Franklin design of Continental Currency paper money.  While they are of the period (1780s) they are not made in America and never circulated here per se as a dollar coinage.  Brass examples are also extremely rare and command high prices.  They are very distinct and come from a specific die pairing.  

My comment above does not mean original examples do not have value.  They are quite collectable, though their 50-100k price in general grades are probably not sustainable for the long run.  This has been extensively written about in the past few years, look for an article on the Newman portal by David McCarthy, John Kraljevich and Eric Goldstein from a few years ago for more information.  The truth is, nothing in American documents show this coin being made, and no newspaper articles or anything related have ever mentioned these coins.  To make a coin of this nature would have been a tremendous event, and would have been written about extensively during the period if made for commerce in the US.  They are very cool pieces, and quite collectable, but they were just medals/tokens of the era and made in England.  There are actually advertisements for them for sale that exist today.  

On 9/8/2023 at 5:37 PM, Newenglandrarities said:

Yes, continental pieces are known in pewter, brass and silver.  However, they look nothing like the coins in these posts.

You missed my point just restating what I said and giving incorrect information as I believe @Sandon posted a pic of what I believe is a pewter continental dollar and I was asking him to confirm.

I remember from a while ago on another topic that these coins in pewter actually look like silver coins but they are not, and the silver ones actually appear darker.

On 9/8/2023 at 4:43 PM, EagleRJO said:

You missed my point just restating what I said and giving incorrect information as I believe @Sandon posted a pic of what I believe is a pewter continental dollar and I was asking him to confirm.

I remember from a while ago on another topic that these coins in pewter actually look like silver coins but they are not, and the silver ones actually appear darker.

My bad, wasn’t trying to correct you in any way, just was adding some info for anyone who may care!  With regards to silver examples, they can appear darker, though pewter continental dollars in circulated condition can often have black toning.  Pewter doesn’t stand the test of time very well if mishandled, so color may not be a good reference for authentication purposes.  

Just for reference here is the most recent silver example that sold.  

IMG_0353.jpeg

IMG_0354.jpeg