• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know the secret to opening ?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

To open capsules like that I typically use a small butter knife (thinner blade) and work the edge into the seam along the side.  Try a sharper knife at your own risk as it usually slips several times trying to work it into the seam.

I have heard some of those capsules can be real buggers to open, just go slow and take your time so you don't damage the coin.   I would think that tapping the sides with a hammer, similar to cracking a slab, would help to free the coin.

For the future on these capsules, I recommend getting yourself a set of jewelry/eyeglasses screwdriver set. The set has 5 pieces in it. The smallest screwdriver in the set works well with getting itself in between the halves of these holders. I have never had a tough time with one of these using that little tiny screwdriver and about a minute of finding a spot around the holder to get it started.

On 6/24/2023 at 2:04 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Thanks JP, I got it. You were right it was one tough bugger. I had to put it in a vise and tap a razor knife on the edge. IMG_6963.thumb.jpeg.b6de8b8cb336e18decc8e16b88b9ebb5.jpegIMG_6963.thumb.jpeg.b6de8b8cb336e18decc8e16b88b9ebb5.jpeg

Do you routinely weigh every coin? Why?

On 6/25/2023 at 12:53 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

No VkurtB but wanted to make sure it was silver.

What, if any, were the reasons to doubt it was? Was there weird packaging? Here's why I ask. At my Summer Seminar class, there were about three guys who were seemingly appalled that every coin is not weighed. VERY FEW coins get weighed at NGC.

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/25/2023 at 11:04 AM, VKurtB said:

Do you routinely weigh every coin?

I weigh every raw coin I acquire, as well as measure the diameter and thickness. I also compare the coin to certified examples and identify any possible die markers.  If the weight or dimensions are off, even a little, I will check specific gravity, but I can count on one hand the number of time I have done that.  This is a routine I got into a while ago in order to help identify counterfeits, which are often off on the weight or thickness.

On 6/25/2023 at 1:44 PM, EagleRJO said:

I weigh every raw coin I acquire, as well as measure the diameter and thickness. I also compare the coin to certified examples and identify any possible die markers.  If the weight or dimensions are off, even a little, I will check specific gravity, but I can count on one hand the number of time I have done that.  This is a routine I got into a while ago in order to help identify counterfeits, which are often off on the weight or thickness.

Seems a bit excessive to me, unless one deals only with shady sources. I mean, I have a real nice scale and everything. I just seldom have a need to "whip it out".

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/25/2023 at 2:46 PM, VKurtB said:

Seems a bit excessive to me, unless one deals only with shady sources.

I specifically avoid shady sources, and it may be a bit overkill but I really do not want any counterfeits in my collection which is almost all raw coins.

On 6/25/2023 at 1:47 PM, EagleRJO said:

which is almost all raw coins.

Wow! That literally sounds insane to me.

On 6/25/2023 at 1:48 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I bought the coin on EBay for a real good price. That is why I had to whip it out 😝

Okay now THAT makes TOTAL sense. I weigh EVERYTHING I get on eBay, which ain't much at all.

On 6/25/2023 at 2:47 PM, EagleRJO said:

... which is almost all raw coins.

On 6/25/2023 at 2:48 PM, VKurtB said:

Wow! That literally sounds insane to me.

I think that's how coins were meant to be collected, and maybe a little old school from my grandfather rubbing off on me.  I collect coins, not labels.  :grin:

On 6/25/2023 at 1:44 PM, EagleRJO said:

This is a routine I got into a while ago in order to help identify counterfeits,

I feel this is prudent to do especially when buying coins over the internet. Also, even some reputable sellers if they are not cautious themselves can have a coin that is not genuine but close enough to fool even experienced collectors sneak through. I see nothing wrong with performing this simple task as the coins are received.

I will admit I do not do this level of scrutiny when buying from a seller that makes their guarantee 100% that their coins are all genuine with a return policy if found to be not such as it typically means they have done this task for me already.

Edited by powermad5000

On 6/25/2023 at 2:42 PM, powermad5000 said:

I can't help but interject some humor here.....all this talk about whipping it out....reminds me of the line from Blazing Saddles....."Let me just whip this out". xD

‘Scuse me while I whip this out.

On 6/26/2023 at 10:16 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

That was one very politically incorrect movie. An equal opportunity offender.

I think they offended everybody in that film which has always been a favorite of mine.

That is precisely why I watch it so often. I’m about as anti-PC as are grown nowadays. I was truly offended by the omnipresent “woke”  messaging at Colorado College. Those people are totally unaware of how much they are viewed with derision. They’re stone cold nuts.  

Post Bill's comment: Then again, all Coloradans are nuts. Just like Virginians, Californians, Massachusetters, Marylanders, and New Yawkuhs.

Edited by VKurtB