• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1993 Washington quarter D over horizontal D??
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Just some reference for you, the mint began phasing out the hand punching of mintmarks in the mid eighties.   By 1990 all hand punched mintmarks had been phased out, so it would be impossible for you to find a D over anything on a coin from 1993 unless a mint employee was doing some creative midnight manufacturing on his/her own.

Edited by Coinbuf

If you compare it to a clean certified coin there is very little that is off except for the hit to the MM, stains, and scratches on the op's coin.

NGC Forum Post Comparison.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

I see evidence of wear and circulation on the quarter you have. It took plenty of hits that displaced some of the metal on the mintmark as I see the depression across it from a relatively hard hit. As for the circular marks on the obverse, I have seen those marks on a lot of Lincoln cents, some nickels and Roosevelt dimes as well. Before I knew any better, I sent one for grading and it returned as details - physical damage.

I think that circular mark comes from a coin counting/separating machine like the self dump machine in a bank or a Coinstar machine. 

I also agree with @Coinbuf as the mintmarks were put onto the master dies so things like RPM disappeared from modern strikes. Anything involving a minor displacement of a mintmark from this time period usually involves a strike from a loose collar around the planchet causing the planchet to bounce during the strike, or a loose die in the press, but does not create a new variety.

Edited by powermad5000

On 6/22/2023 at 7:44 PM, powermad5000 said:

I think that circular mark comes from a coin counting/separating machine like the self dump machine in a bank or a Coinstar machine. 

Or possibly from a coin rolling machine of the type that crimps the roll on the end, leaving part of the coin exposed.