• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess the grade 1880S
1 1

17 posts in this topic

It is very difficult to grade coins from "head on", somewhat unfocused photos like these. We would need to see the coin at different angles, lightings, and magnifications to assess the number, location, and severity of marks and abrasions and the depth of the mirrors on the surface. Based solely on your photos, the coin could grade as high as MS 65 or MS 66. The obverse could qualify as a "deep mirror prooflike", but the reverse might only be "prooflike", which would lower the whole coin to a "PL" designation at a grading service.  

The 1880-S is one of the most common Morgan dollars in grades of MS 65 or higher. Most of the handful of Morgan dollars graded "MS 69" by NGC and PCGS are 1880-S. It is probably the most common Morgan dollar in PL and DMPL. Your coin has the "large S"--apparently a punch previously used on some "S" mint trade dollars--and not used on any other Morgan dollar, although both it and the "medium S" are common on the 1880-S.

Rightly or wrongly, the answer would lie in large part to the TPGS you choose to submit your coin to.  🤔 

Too much image compression noise to see the coin's surface -- in addition to the poor focus.

Come on guys you all sound like you are afraid to throw out a approximate grade because you don't want to get sued. These visual grading exercises are mostly to sharpen your DETAILS grading ability. The higher 66-70 grades do have a luster factor but that luster can be there in many different ways. The obvious DMPL on this coin is easy to recognize.  The luster impairment on the bust and the left rev high is apparent. There are marks on this coin. Enough to lower the grade below 65. The rim is also dirty. The strike is ok but could be better. Now sue me.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 6/19/2023 at 11:28 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

you all sound like you are afraid to throw out a approximate grade because you don't want to get sued.

I don’t do it because I am on a quest to discourage grading by photos. Call it my personal fetish. I gotzta have it in my grubby paws. No shortcuts. 

On 6/19/2023 at 10:43 AM, VKurtB said:

I don’t do it because I am on a quest to discourage grading by photos. Call it my personal fetish. I gotzta have it in my grubby paws. No shortcuts. 

You would be the first person I would want their grubby little hands on my coins I'll:) send them immediately for pre screen thanks..;)

On 6/19/2023 at 12:37 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

You would be the first person I would want their grubby little hands on my coins I'll:) send them immediately for pre screen thanks..;)

The grubby paws had a busy day examining Chinese Republic and British India crown sized stuff mostly for authentication and identification purposes. Europe (my wheelhouse) mañana. 

Regardless though, I can qualitatively see that your 1880-S is one anyone would be pleased to own, even though it is a date and mint with a large number of primo pieces. A plethora of sweet pieces does not diminish the truly exceptional. 

On 6/19/2023 at 1:28 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Come on guys you all sound like you are afraid to throw out a approximate grade because you don't want to get sued.

Not at all. I'd like to be reasonably accurate and honest about the condition of your coin, but the photos don't permit that and I stated why that was so. If you post clear, sharp photos, free of compression artifacts, then I - and likely others - will venture a guess.

Remember --- "Don't count you chickens before they lay an egg."

:)

I’d say judging by pictures 64DMPL -64+DMPL … it’s not my coin I don’t have it in hand but judging best I can by photos you provided that what I say it would grade out to be