• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy Camper - Garrett

36 posts in this topic

On 6/23/2023 at 12:58 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

How are they going to be sold and when ?

Some, maybe all, were available to purchase through Govmint.com, how misleading is that name, but I believe they have sold out. Maybe a few were held back. (shrug)

On 6/23/2023 at 6:32 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Some, maybe all, were available to purchase through Govmint.com, how misleading is that name, but I believe they have sold out. Maybe a few were held back. (shrug)

Price will eventually fall once the hype comes down I would think.

At the same time, the smaller denomination coins are more affordable than the Eagle and Double Eagle coins so they have a large demand base.

On 6/23/2023 at 8:33 AM, World Colonial said:

Another example that most coins are (a lot) more common than is apparent to most.

True, but you never can tell when that is apparent.  I mean, is someone supposed to wait for a coffee can in a corn field to increase the supply of Gold Dollars ? xD

It is a warning that if you pay up for a premium coin that it can go down even if bullion or coin prices are stable.  For the most part, the top-pop players can afford to take the losses.  But if -- hypothetically -- someone paid full price for an MS-63 MCMVII High Relief or Franklin or Liberty Seated top-pops and then a few dozen or hundred were mysteriosly found, the price could go down 20% in the blink of an eye.  Maybe even 50% over time.

Gotta be able to not have that impact you which I think most of us understand.  I think the people who get burned in our hobby are those who load up on PMs expecting the price to triple in 18 months.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Unless there is a reason to buy one of these "hoard" coins at an inflated price, your better value is to buy the same or better at a normal price.

I hope Mr. Garrett releases enough information that statistical analysis can be run on the coins and the geographic location. This can be correlated with other numismatic finds. Results might help us better understand the flow of specie at that time.

On 6/23/2023 at 2:08 PM, RWB said:

Unless there is a reason to buy one of these "hoard" coins at an inflated price, your better value is to buy the same or better at a normal price.

If anybody follows the coins found in the KY Hoard....has there been any spike up in prices anticipating an increase in demand and maybe piggy-backing on the expected inflated prices from GovMint.com ?

On 6/23/2023 at 2:08 PM, RWB said:

I hope Mr. Garrett releases enough information that statistical analysis can be run on the coins and the geographic location. This can be correlated with other numismatic finds. Results might help us better understand the flow of specie at that time.

But as we've discussed in other threads, these people are very secretive about the details.  Forget about the exact location in a "corn field" -- I'm just curious as to how in any area that had to be plowed/worked/walked on over the decades how this can of coins miraculously wasn't found or apparently came to the surface (?) in only the last few months. 

What led it to being discovered NOW that wasn't 5 years ago or 15 years ago or 50 years ago or 100 years ago ?

Roger, what statsitical analysis would be of interest to you and why ?  While there are tons of details on finding this hoard that we don't know about, I'm not sure that a "statistical analysis" tells us anything, right ?  If there were a dozen other hoards found in Kentucky with similar coins, then sure, compare and contrast and run studies.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 6/23/2023 at 2:46 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If anybody follows the coins found in the KY Hoard....has there been any spike up in prices anticipating an increase in demand and maybe piggy-backing on the expected inflated prices from GovMint.com ?

But as we've discussed in other threads, these people are very secretive about the details.  Forget about the exact location in a "corn field" -- I'm just curious as to how in any area that had to be plowed/worked/walked on over the decades how this can of coins miraculously wasn't found or apparently came to the surface (?) in only the last few months. 

What led it to being discovered NOW that wasn't 5 years ago or 15 years ago or 50 years ago or 100 years ago ?

Roger, what statsitical analysis would be of interest to you and why ?  While there are tons of details on finding this hoard that we don't know about, I'm not sure that a "statistical analysis" tells us anything, right ?  If there were a dozen other hoards found in Kentucky with similar coins, then sure, compare and contrast and run studies.

...geez, ur missing the boat here, the statistical analysis could tell us whether the coins were buried in the morning or afternoon, whether it was raining or dry, possibly the gender, nationality n age of the hoarders, if enuf is known n if recorded we could know if the coins were found heads or tails up...its endless... u r correct the correlation between this hoard n the saddle ridge or wells fargo hoards yields little if nothing...yes if there were numerous kentucky hoards found u could make certain geographical speculations...determining "flow of specie" is readily available without any additional info being provided...there is a flow of specie here but its not about the hoard n im sure the forum would not approve if i elaborated further....

On 6/23/2023 at 2:46 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Dates, mints and condition. These can demonstrate the dispersion of coins from specific mints or sub-Treasuries, and the approximate length of time each coin took to arrive in the hoard. When the same is done for other hoards, patterns begin to develop in how the coins moved and that can inform us about commerce, migration, and population changes before the Civil War; do the same post-War and we have a snapshot of some changes caused by the war on local, or state-wide levels.

Burial depth and circumstances of the find can tell us about the person(s) who hid the coins and sometimes a little about their economic status. The coins were found in a "cornfield" but what was the area like when they were buried? It might have been woodland, or cleared pasture, or swamp....

As you can see, a full and accurate description can be part of widening our understanding of people, commerce and society.

On 6/23/2023 at 3:54 PM, RWB said:

Dates, mints and condition.

If that information isn't out yet, it will be soon, right ?  All the coins are ID'd on the label so all this information should be publicly available.

These can demonstrate the dispersion of coins from specific mints or sub-Treasuries, and the approximate length of time each coin took to arrive in the hoard. When the same is done for other hoards, patterns begin to develop in how the coins moved and that can inform us about commerce, migration, and population changes before the Civil War; do the same post-War and we have a snapshot of some changes caused by the war on local, or state-wide levels.

Interesting, I don't know how you would determine those things just from stuff that is going to be on the label, but I'll take your word for it.  If this entire hoard was accumulated by 1 individual and/or his/her descendants, I don't know what that tells us about the dispersion.  They all could have grown up in the same house like "The Waltons" or maybe different family members got different coins living in different parts of Kentucky (or other neighboring states) and they all ended up when everbody died with the family that had the coins the last 50-75 years or whatever.

Burial depth and circumstances of the find can tell us about the person(s) who hid the coins and sometimes a little about their economic status. The coins were found in a "cornfield" but what was the area like when they were buried? It might have been woodland, or cleared pasture, or swamp.... As you can see, a full and accurate description can be part of widening our understanding of people, commerce and society.

I agree on the nature of the land that the coins were found in.  That's what Garrett and others are certainly keeping secret:  if it's FALSE (if they embellished the find) they don't want others to find out and if it's LEGIT then the last thing they want is to have some poor farmer or landowner having dozens of people on their property looking for more coins.

If it was a true "corn field" then you would think it was farmed regularly which is why I said I was surprised it was just recently found (I presume it wasn't buried under the surface).  Now...if it was in some distant non-farmable swamp section that people avoided, I could see someone hiding coins all the way out there in a remote part of the field away from the house and the farmed area 100+ years ago.

We don't know enough about the find and its contents to learn anything useful. (Each coin came from someplace else. What are the known trade routes to the find area. How far did each coin have to travel from its Mint? Etc. etc.

On 6/23/2023 at 9:37 PM, RWB said:

We don't know enough about the find and its contents to learn anything useful. (Each coin came from someplace else. What are the known trade routes to the find area. How far did each coin have to travel from its Mint? Etc. etc.

Have you ever met JG ?  Do you think he will give more details regarding the important numismatic facts here, as opposed to the specific location, etc. ?

On 6/23/2023 at 11:02 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Have you ever met JG ?  Do you think he will give more details regarding the important numismatic facts here, as opposed to the specific location, etc. ?

Yes. No.

On 6/24/2023 at 12:34 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Makes you wonder if they are hiding something.

Their goal is to make as much money as possible. Nothing else is important. There is no "long view" or "advance of knowledge" perspective.

Britain's "Treasure Act" and the  "Portable Antiquities Scheme" recognize the long-term value of metal detector hoards and other antiquity finds. This places information and national interest above immediate individual profit. Once the find has been properly recorded by the British Museum, its content is made available to museums via a bidding scheme. In coin finds, only a very small portion are actually of museum interest and the balance goes to the finders. The owners can do what they want in selling coins and promotion. (It's a little bureaucratic, but it places historical information of immediate money-making.)

Edited by RWB

Blast from the Past

🐓:  Mission Control to Hoghead! Come in Hoghead!

HH:  Go ahead, M.C

🐓:  Anything new about that hoard found in a Kin-tuck Cornfield?

HH:  COIN HOARD?... CORN???

🐓  : YES!

HH:  Nope, ain' nothin" hereabouts and yonder but coal and coal mines...

🐓  : Much appreciated.  Let us know if you see or hear anything.  🤣

On 6/23/2023 at 3:00 PM, zadok said:

...geez, ur missing the boat here, the statistical analysis could tell us whether the coins were buried in the morning or afternoon, whether it was raining or dry, possibly the gender, nationality n age of the hoarders, if enuf is known n if recorded we could know if the coins were found heads or tails up...its endless... 

🤣

On 6/23/2023 at 9:37 PM, RWB said:

...i cant wait to see the movie....

On 6/24/2023 at 1:00 PM, RWB said:

There is no "long view" or "advance of knowledge" perspective.

This is true until every last cent of profit potential has been wrung out of the hoard's existence. Then, after some time for everyone to forget what few details were talked about, the Scam of the Second Type begins - book publishing!

On 6/24/2023 at 2:00 PM, RWB said:

Their goal is to make as much money as possible. Nothing else is important. There is no "long view" or "advance of knowledge" perspective.

I'd like to think that while they are entitled to make $$$ and there is nothing wrong with that....they are also numismatists who feel a fiduciary obligation to help our hobby and spread their knowledge among our community and others. (thumbsu