• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Discovery DDO 1964 No Mint penny

8 posts in this topic

I’m positive this is a double died obverse. It’s very clear it’s just not major. How would I go about getting this graded as a DDO. I know I need to get it authenticated because there are no recorded 64 double dyes. Someone help me. 

F754D9D0-741D-47D2-BED1-6C677EA4B64D.jpeg

On 6/17/2023 at 6:46 AM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that is not a DOUBLED DIE (Note proper terminology).    
That is what is known as worthless Machine Doubling.

Welcome, Greenstang is correct most coins that look like a DD are not. Perhaps you could show a few close up's of what you think is double on this cent ?

On 6/16/2023 at 11:54 PM, Zack G. said:

I’m positive this is a double died obverse.

What makes you positive that it is?

Keeping in mind that a hub doubled die produces two distinct images across the entire side of the coin. I am in alignment with @J P M. You would need to provide better closeups of the areas in question to prove your statement.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.   

When I magnify the photo, I can see some slight "shelf-like" doubling on the date, which is indicative of "machine doubling" a.k.a. "strike doubling", which is caused by a die being slightly loose in the press, which is quite common and not worth a premium to collectors. Die doubling creates a much crisper, clearer and less shallow secondary image, with "notching" between the junctions of the primary and secondary images, of which the "Redbook" variety 1972 doubled die obverse cent is a good example:

1972DDcentobv..thumb.jpg.4aa5ece01a0638959f5e9e2152e97c8b.jpg

While more minor doubled dies may have a narrower "spread" between the two images and involve doubling on fewer letters, numbers or other design features, they are always clearer, crisper and less shallow than the secondary image on your coin.  A listing with photos of the more significant known doubled dies on U.S. coins can be found on NGC VarietyPlus at United States Categories | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com) or under the "Resources" tab on the NGC home page. (NGC generally will not attribute a variety not on VarietyPlus unless it is added as a significant discovery.   Websites such as doubleddie.com and varietyvista.com have more comprehensive listings of known doubled dies, including minor ones.  It is unlikely that a new and significant doubled die awaits discovery for a coin dating from 1964.

On 6/17/2023 at 12:54 AM, Zack G. said:

I’m positive this is a double died obverse ... I know I need to get it authenticated

I'm positive it is NOT a doubled die obverse.  There would be no need to authenticate worthless common machine doubling.  See the attached to help you identify MD in the future, as well as looking for more than just localized doubling.

On 6/17/2023 at 12:54 AM, Zack G. said:

... there are no recorded 64 double dyes

There are 64 DDO's recorded at Wexler's, just not for that coin with MD ... http://doubleddie.com/300201.html

Errors - Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

For the sake of accuracy, it should be pointed out that there is an error in the above graphic. "Deteriorated die doubling" and "strike doubling" are not the same thing. The former is caused by eroded dies. The latter is caused by movement of either the die or the planchet during the striking process.