• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would this coin get graded?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I bought this coin from our local auction and I think its very nice looking with sharp details. Problem is it has laminating error or other planchet defect. Now I'm wondering is it major defect or could this coin get numeric grading from NGC?

3.JPG

penni1.jpg

penni2.jpg

• Administrator

Hello @Oldbeggar

Thank you for reaching out to us. Due to the damage displayed by the coin, it is unlikely to receive a numerical grade. It may qualify for a Details grade; however, submission and an in-hand evaluation by the grading team would be required to determine this.  NGC Coins | Details grading.

Keep in mind that in some cases, damage can make a coin difficult to authenticate or grade. When this happens, the coin will be returned raw and ungraded. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Thank you for your quick reply.

I think so too, of course I would be happy to get it graded as a mint error, but for me its hard to tell would it qualified as one. Here is one NGC graded I saw and I think my coin has similar planchet defect, only smaller.

Difficult to say should I send it, how can you know wheres the limit to be accepted as mint error?

products-1959_ngc_ms64_rb_defective_planchet.jpg

• Administrator

Hello @Oldbeggar, thank you for your inquiry. All decisions made on if a coin qualifies for a mint error would be up to our grading team. Unfortunately, all coins are situational, and we would need the coin in hand to confirm if it would qualify for a mint error. Ultimately, you would need to send the coin to see if it qualifies to be attributed as such (since we are unable to review via photos or email).

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

Just my humble opinion: judging by the damage to the rim and denticles near the defect, the fact that the rim doesn't appear to taper into the broken area, and the apparent lack of the Blakesley Effect opposite the break, I believe this is post-mint damage. However, the fact that this is a scarce issue would probably cause me to send it in for authentication, even if it failed to grade.

Welcome to the forum. 

Thank you for your replies. I thought that Blakesley Effect is only seen in clipped planchet and this is not clipped, I think this planchet has other kind of defect.

Anyways, I think I will try to get that mint error grading. Its low mintage coin and I think it would always be in my head nagging if I didnt try.

I let you know what's the verdict when I get it back.

On 9/11/2023 at 6:45 AM, Oldbeggar said:

Hello again, I send the coin to be graded and it came back today. I must say that I'm quite happy.

1864.jpg

Congratulations! I'm glad I was wrong about it being damaged.

About the Blakesley effect: it really doesn't matter the reason a section of the planchet is missing. The effect is caused by uneven pressure when the blank is run through the upsetting  mill. But - and here is where my brain slipped a cog - this coin never went through that process. I should have given my answer a lot more thought before I responded.

This thread has also reminded me that I need to do a lot more studying on 18th &19th century US and world coin manufacturing processes. Thank you for posting.

Edited by Just Bob