• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This a 1916 D/S Lincoln Wheat Cent?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I was coin roll hunting and came across a 1916-D Lincoln Wheat Cent. After closer inspection there appears to be an over mint mark (D over S). I wanted to share this with the forum to see what more experienced collectors/numismatists thought. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

1916-D OVER S Lincoln Wheat Steel 1C - OMM - 20230611.JPG

It may be helpful if you would post cropped photos showing the full obverse and reverse of this coin. Based upon what I can see, it is highly doubtful that this coin shows a D/S over-mintmark for the following reasons:

1.  As @Coinbuf noted, the mint mark area is covered with patches of corrosion and/or dirt, and there appears to be damage to the lower part of the mint mark that could have pushed metal inside the mint mark, where it could be taken to be the lower loop of an "S". A coin in better condition with a clear, undamaged mint mark would be required to establish the existence of such an over-mintmark.

2.  What could be taken as the lower portion of an "S" doesn't appear to match the shape of the "S" mint mark punch used on 1916-S cents, as shown by the NGC Coin Explorer photo below. This is the only style of "S" I've seen on 1916-S cents. It was also used on all 1909-1915 "S" mint cents and on some 1917-S cents as well.

4773618-007o.jpg

3.  It is unlikely that a major over mintmark wouldn't be discovered for 107 years, considering the number of people who have avidly collected and examined Lincoln cents for most of that time. 

I agree with the others. I also checked into NGC VarietyPlus and I do not see a variety listed for a 1916 D/S so that would further bolster the opinion that the mintmark took a good hit and the metal got displaced.

On 6/11/2023 at 10:10 PM, Drick6sy19 said:

I was coin roll hunting and came across a 1916-D Lincoln Wheat Cent. After closer inspection there appears to be an over mint mark (D over S). I wanted to share this with the forum to see what more experienced collectors/numismatists thought. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

1916-D OVER S Lincoln Wheat Steel 1C - OMM - 20230611.JPG

I can see where you would think this tho.  it does look like the top of the S.  very interesting tho.

On 6/16/2023 at 11:15 PM, powermad5000 said:

I also checked into NGC VarietyPlus and I do not see a variety listed for a 1916 D/S ...

There is also no 1916 D/S OMM listed on varietyvista.com/coppercoins.com, or lincolncentresource.com/ which likely would have been discovered in over 100+ years since the coins were struck if it existed.

On 6/22/2023 at 12:38 PM, Drick6sy19 said:

I appreciate your input as it is helping me learn

A good place to learn more is by going through the following topic on this board ...

---> https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/430263-basic-resources-glossary-for-those-posting-questions/

As you go through the topic look for the links related to "Resources for Newer Collectors", as well as those related to errors and varieties as those may be something of interest given your posts.

And of course as you find interesting coins, or have questions related to coin collecting, post about them on this board as there are many experienced collectors more than willing to help out less experienced collectors willing to learn like yourself.  ;)

Edited by EagleRJO