• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Society of Bearded Numismatists Meeting

22 posts in this topic

I shaved for my son's wedding in April. Only the 'stache remains. The beard is gone temporarily. I looked almost David Letterman-esque. I will stop shaving again the day I leave for Summer Seminar, June 17, 2023. I need to be a bearded numismatist for the August ANA show. I bring a nice bottle of "hooch" every year as a door prize for the Society of Bearded Numismatists meeting at each August ANA show. I am taking suggestions for a whiskey or whisky (see Scottish spelling) to bring. It needn't be cheap. I don't cheap out on my bearded pals. Last year I brought 1792-brand bourbon. Michael Shutterly, Esq. walked away with the bottle. (Best in Show Exhibit, too.) It's part of our motto - Whiskers, Wampum, and Women, nope, Whiskey.

See you in Pittsburgh, all ye who sport the facial fuzz. Wednesday, August 9, 2023. 3:00PM in the Hall B Rest area.

Now you tell me!  No loss. I cut off my meter-long beard for our wedding July 5, 2016 ("City Hall is closed on the Fourth as are most gov't offices on Federal holidays"). My wife stared in wonderment at me through out the ceremony... he doesn't look like the man I was supposed to marry..." Anyway, what's left is coming off on our upcoming anniversary. Society of Bearded Numismatists, huh. Well, one more venue I will be disqualified from. 🤣

On 6/7/2023 at 1:08 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Now you tell me!  No loss. I cut off my meter-long beard for our wedding July 5, 2016 ("City Hall is closed on the Fourth as are most gov't offices on Federal holidays"). My wife stared in wonderment at me through out the ceremony... he doesn't look like the man I was supposed to marry..." Anyway, what's left is coming off on our upcoming anniversary. Society of Bearded Numismatists, huh. Well, one more venue I will be disqualified from. 🤣

It’s a fun event, not to be confused with a F.U.N. event, which it is not. Any distilled beverage recommendations? Anyone? What’s really good? If it were wine, I would check with @The Penny Lady.

Edited by VKurtB

My two favorites when I can find them, Blanton's single barrel and Dalwhinnie 15 year. Balvenie caribbean cask, or any Balvenie whisky for that matter, is pretty good too. The Balvenie is more readily available in my area, Dalwhinnie I'll usually stumble across once or twice a year, the Blanton's has been impossible the last few years but I'm sure you could find it online. Neither of the two scotch whiskies taste of peat either, that's a show stopper for some, just barely a hint, most people wouldn't notice. The Dalwhinnie is the more complex of the three and the smoothest, I think. 

image.png.ff4f416f14ebf906a464918e9f006722.png

image.png.0f873d22a2a68cbcc159ad9d0daa3bec.png

image.png.5599bd419991a2d57166fefbf1f975f2.png

On 6/7/2023 at 4:08 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

.... Dalwhinnie I'll usually stumble across once or twice a year, the.... Dalwhinnie is the more complex of the three and the smoothest, I think. 

image.png.0f873d22a2a68cbcc159ad9d0daa3bec.png

"Once or twice a year" oh, and wait, I just happen to have a photo of one... hold on, right here!  🤣

[For the nitpickers amongst us... it's more complex of the two and most complex of the three.]  Courtesy Ole Miss where a New York City teen learned to speak proper English.]  ;)

Back on Track. :roflmao:

On 6/7/2023 at 8:34 PM, Henri Charriere said:

"Once or twice a year" oh, and wait, I just happen to have a photo of one... hold on, right here!  🤣

[For the nitpickers amongst us... it's more complex of the two and most complex of the three.]  Courtesy Ole Miss where a New York City teen learned to speak proper English.]  ;)

Back on Track. :roflmao:

I get through Bourbon country far more than Scotland, but 2023 will be unusual in that regard. My wife and I have eight full days in the land of Scotch Whisky planned for September. Our last spot on the trip is Ireland, so I have to decide which country's distilled essence will be my duty-free purchase. The itinerary is now (not counting transits, only nights) Paris, Edinburgh, Inverness, London, Dublin. The Cardiff area  gave up its spot to Paris. Right now I'm thinking a great Irish Whiskey that can't be found here in Alabama.

Edited by VKurtB

Blanton’s is never impossible if you know where to look. Blanton’s Straight From The Barrel is great and also Blanton’s Gold Edition. Gold edition is a great starter for someone who is not yet a Bourbon fan.

305526AA-A75D-4B99-BA69-E112FF1C8E65.jpeg

52E32E35-644C-4224-A1E6-F26A3E8FF844.jpeg

Edited by LOCK34

On 6/7/2023 at 3:46 PM, VKurtB said:

It’s a fun event, not to be confused with a F.U.N. event, which it is not. Any distilled beverage recommendations? Anyone? What’s really good? If it were wine, I would check with @The Penny Lady.

...E.H. Taylor single barrel is highly recommended if u can locate it....

While I do not know the first thing about such things, I do know having heard it said, that one's taste buds change over time as one ages. Other variables to consider are changes in formulations, the passage of time and proper storage at an ideal consistent temperature.

On 6/10/2023 at 5:14 AM, Henri Charriere said:

While I do not know the first thing about such things, I do know having heard it said, that one's taste buds change over time as one ages. Other variables to consider are changes in formulations, the passage of time and proper storage at an ideal consistent temperature.

You have read and/or listened well then. I went through several alcoholic beverage phases in my life. As a young man, I wrote a weekly column on wines (mostly) and spirits for a newspaper. My favorites were any wines that were either California varietals or Grand Cru Classification of 1855 French Bordeaux wines, using the Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, or Cabernet Franc grapes. Both regions have gotten inordinately pricey of late. Then, in 2009 I suffered my brain injury and my neurologist asked me if I could give him two full years with no alcohol and quit fine cigars for good. Both would help my medications’ effectiveness. even had real Cuban cigars I gave to the Chairman for whom I worked. And so I did it. I started to drink VERY little again in 2012. I now treat the consumption of ANY alcohol as the unusual treat that it is. No domestic beer swill, particularly Anything Lite. No junk crosses my lips, only fine experiences, such as Highlands Whisky accompanying my haggis on the overnight train to St. Andrew’s, Scotland. See? Experiences. Like hitting a ball out of the Road Hole bunker (Out in one.) and posing on the Swilcan Bridge a la Jack Nicklaus. My liquor cabinet is well stocked, with fine spirits of the appropriate origin. My vodka is Russian. My tequila is Mexican. My gin is British. My dark rum is Puerto Rican because I can’t get Cuban now. My whisky is Scottish but my whiskey is from North Central Kentucky and just up I-65 in Tennessee. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/10/2023 at 4:14 PM, Zebo said:

I’ve never tried or even heard of Blanton’s. Send me a bottle please.

Your request has been noted. I only give bottles as unsolicited gifts. No soliciting please:nyah::nyah::nyah:

Until recently all the versions of Blanton's except the original single barrel were only sold outside of USA. Some are sold at ridiculous prices in the states now. Never pay more than retail for them. You can get them in duty free in many places. Normal retail are usually the following or so,

Single Barrel: $49.95

Gold Edition:  $59.95

Silver Edition:  Discontinued but can still be found $69.95 (Currently selling for $6,000.00 a bottle online(:)

Special Reserve:  $69.95

Straight From The Barrel:  $79.95

There are still retailers that sell Pappy Van Winkle for retail if you do some looking. I will not mention any places online as that will make it harder for me to acquire Pappy at retail. They are out there though.

On 6/10/2023 at 7:55 PM, Zebo said:

Pappy - very nice, but hard to find.

If you do good research you may find it is easier to get than marketers would have you think.........................................

For Scotch whisky, The Glenlivet Nadurra is a nonpeaty that is a good starter for people who are not yet turned on to Scotch. Used to be $55.00 or so but recently is selling for nearer to $80.00.

Is "nonpeaty" a word?

On 6/10/2023 at 7:30 PM, LOCK34 said:

Until recently all the versions of Blanton's except the original single barrel were only sold outside of USA. Some are sold at ridiculous prices in the states now. Never pay more than retail for them. You can get them in duty free in many places. Normal retail are usually the following or so,

Single Barrel: $49.95

Gold Edition:  $59.95

Silver Edition:  Discontinued but can still be found $69.95 (Currently selling for $6,000.00 a bottle online(:)

Special Reserve:  $69.95

Straight From The Barrel:  $79.95

There are still retailers that sell Pappy Van Winkle for retail if you do some looking. I will not mention any places online as that will make it harder for me to acquire Pappy at retail. They are out there though.

YES!!!!!!! When I went across the pond just before COVID hit in 2019, the duty-free shop at Gatwick had all kinds of stuff I had never even SEEN before. Of course, as a then-Pennsylvanian, that was not a surprise, as Pennsylvania is the only state left with a 100% state-run monopoly on all alcoholic beverages. The catalog is pretty limited, and only mass-produced stuff ever gets on it. The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board is the largest alcohol retailer/wholesaler in the entire world. Technically, I could get fined for bringing exotic hooch to Pittsburgh. 

On 6/7/2023 at 7:52 AM, VKurtB said:

See you in Pittsburgh, all ye who sport the facial fuzz. Wednesday, August 9, 2023. 3:00PM in the Hall B Rest area.

Western Union... unable to attend s.o.b.n....disqualified due to having shorn my head, Rip Van Winkle beard and whiskers for seventh wedding anniversary, day after Fourth of July.... all ther faculties intact.  - H.C.

On 6/11/2023 at 11:39 AM, VKurtB said:

Technically, I could get fined for bringing exotic hooch to Pittsburgh. 

One could be fined for bringing clean water to Pittsburgh.

On 7/10/2023 at 8:50 AM, RWB said:

One could be fined for bringing clean water to Pittsburgh.

A distinguished researcher would know that’s a total myth. A jerk would believe it. QED. Pittsburgh’s water is just fine, if you’re not dipping it right out of the rivers untreated. Northern Virginia’s is befouled by the politicians on the Potomac.  

Edited by VKurtB