• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 Lincoln memorial penny (no mint mark) (real/fake)
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hello I hope that all yall are this afternoon

I would like your help with one of the 1983 penny (no mint mark) I found in grandma's old coins

This is were you say to your self. Self this coin has part of the errors for DD rev Obvers ? But it doesn't have all the errors contributed to this type of coin. So is it real or fake"

Concerning pictures: these are the best I can do. I'm using iPhone and scanner. My C-mount microscope camera Amscope 5m stopped working after 10 year and don't know which one to replace it with yet (if you a recommendation let me know)

THE COIN:

On the front shows a nice coin no doubling or errors, except at the rim at 11 o'clock

The back shows the letters worn down and nearly whole top area is ruff and blurry with the E in E-Pluribus Unum being worn down with motto being flattened 

The A in STATE is slightly doubled

The top of the F in OF

AMERICA is doubled across top of serfs but AM doubled most 

The right out side edge of the monument is slightly doubled

If there's is further doubling things are such bad shape to be undetectable

Thanks 

Daniel

image.jpeg.bb99c585d9ecdde20a703e11aa5dacfa.jpegimage.jpeg.951e71bf016e91ce45b8f7b9d97a0a38.jpegimage.jpeg.7664d4dd9acd23071e38b9c319d6469a.jpeg

image.jpeg.084046c051bfbe13311a38a68c194c91.jpegimage.jpeg.3d0b1fd8346928adb3409a80f2aaa3ef.jpeg

Edited by txboaz55

When it asks to paste as plain text instead, I just hover over the X and when the bar pops up that says "Keep formatting", I click the X and it usually works.

I don't know what you mean by "no date", as this Lincoln cent is obviously and normally dated 1983. What are you talking about?

I can see no signs of doubling, die doubling or otherwise, from your photos. It clearly isn't the doubled die reverse listed and depicted in the Redbook. 

The coin was struck from a misaligned obverse die, resulting in the right side of the rim appearing to be wider than usual and the left side nearly missing. Misaligned die strikes are common and regarded by knowledgeable collectors as examples of poor quality control rather than as mint errors. They are generally worth little or no premium. 

The weak letters on the reverse are indicative of a weak strike, which is very common on Lincoln cents with the Memorial reverse, particularly from this era. Such weak strikes make a coin less rather than more desirable to collectors.

In short, this appears to be a lightly circulated genuine 1983 Lincoln cent worth only its face value of one cent to anyone with the requisite knowledge to collect coins.   

@txboaz55, you're welcome!

I agree with what @Sandon stated, but also want to add that cents of this time period (roughly 1982-1995) had some weak strikes towards the end of the life of the dies as the Mint overused many of the dies they made during this time period. I would also add that if you are seeing any type of doubling, it would be die deterioration doubling (aka mechanical doubling) which would make sense with what I am seeing on your coin. An already loose obverse die and judging by the steps, columns, and roof of the memorial on the reverse an already overused reverse die leaving the details on the reverse not very crisp at all and the details kind of "muddy".

I agree with the other members. The coin is a normal 1983.  Perhaps your grandmother saved it because the rim was off a bit or some other sentimental memory. 

Thanks to all yall for the replies and thoughts

Being a Morgan Man & an old silver hound-dog. I did not know of the No Date Penny until about 3 days ago. With morgans the amount of info on them are galaxy filling, I tried to make the penny match what I thought it should instead of just following the clues / fact like Nick & Nora Charles to solve the mystery

Thanks

Daniel 

On 6/5/2023 at 2:15 PM, txboaz55 said:

. I did not know of the No Date Penny until about 3 days ago.

Daniel 

What is this "No Date Penny?" Can you provide a link to a website with information about it?

On 6/5/2023 at 5:29 PM, Just Bob said:

What is this "No Date Penny?" Can you provide a link to a website with information about it?

I was wondering the same thing.

The no date penny thing has me scratching my head too other than the case of a brockage where the date is unreadable or an off center strike in the 50% off center range where the date is missing.

On 6/6/2023 at 3:52 AM, txboaz55 said:

You mean you can see a date?!

We don't know what you are talking about. What is this coin with no date? Do you have a picture? A link to a web page? 

Sorry: Sandon , Just Bob, Fenntucky Mike, Powermad5000

I thought yall were making fun of me becose when I first posted this topic I did not proof read as will as I should have and had wrote (no date) instead of (no mint mark) which I went back and corrected 3 hours later if you would like to check

Thanks I've had a good time with this post

On 6/6/2023 at 12:23 PM, txboaz55 said:

Sorry: Sandon , Just Bob, Fenntucky Mike, Powermad5000

I thought yall were making fun of me becose when I first posted this topic I did not proof read as will as I should have and had wrote (no date) instead of (no mint mark) which I went back and corrected 3 hours later if you would like to check

Thanks I've had a good time with this post

Ok.

I thought maybe someone had found a cent that was struck through grease or had some other strike anomaly that had obscured the date completely, and I was wanting to see a picture of it. 

As my kids used to say, "It's all good!"

There are millions of people (mostly eastern USA) who will be amazed that anyone would be amazed about a 1983 cent with no mint mark. It's pretty much the only way we ever get them.