• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 P Dime error?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I have a 1982p dime that has proof like luster with lines and bubbles. It also seems to have a error across reverse side. Could anybody tell me what error it is?

20230523_12_04_14.png

20230523_11_53_46.png

20230523_12_04_02.png

20230523_12_00_48.png

20230523_12_20_39.png

20230523_12_08_11.png

20230523_160747.jpg

20230523_161107.jpg

20230523_160255.jpg

20230523_160824.jpg

Edited by Ebutts
Needed clear pics of front and back.

Welcome to the NGC chat board. 

Please post clear, cropped photos of each side of the entire coin.  It is very difficult to evaluate this coin without them.  Please also review the following topic regarding posting topics on this forum:

The pictures are clear enough.  
As I stated earlier, something, possibly solder, has been put on the reverse.   
Maybe it is part of a clasp to make jewellery.
Doesn’t really matter though, it is damage to the dime as it wasn’t on there  
when the coin was struck.

Edited by Greenstang

Looks like that bar may have been glued or perhaps soldered as mentioned. If you have the time to kill soak the coin in pure acetone for a few hours in a glass jar with a lid to keep the acetone from evaporating.   If it is glue the acetone will melt the glue and let that bar release and fall off, the acetone will not harm or alter the coin itself.   Again this is just if you feel like doing the experiment, the coin shows significant die erosion from dies that were over used and the coin has no value over the face value.

Thank you everybody. It's so hard to tell sometimes what is from the mint or from people altering them. I got it from my change at mcds and the shine stood out so much I knew it was off. 

I notice a piece of whatever it is on the reverse has already broken off. Possibly soldered or brazed. Whatever it is, it is post mint damage (as well as the polishing job on it).