• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 copper I know everyone is very serious when it comes to this coin and its rarity so to let everyone know I'm not trying to be funny I really wanted advice from the right place that's why I'm here
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I found this penny under a 120 year old house I'm downtown Charleston s.c it was corroded and was close to almost an eth inch thick I cleaned it up best I could without damaging anymore than already was and under the microscope it appears to be the perfect 1943 with the 3 having the sickle leg like it's supposed to and does not stick to a magnet I would like to have some feedback from you guys that really know what your looking at and have experience with this inpaticlur year not trying to ruffle anyone's father's cuz I know yall get and see all kinds of scams about the 1943 copper all the time that's why I'm saying it up front I have no reason to try to pull a fast one on someone who knows what there looking at any feedback would be appreciated thanks in advance 

2023-5-10 2-0-3.jpg

2023-5-10 2-0-12.jpg

This is a super rare 1943 (P) Bronze/Copper Lincoln Cent.  Your 1942 Bronze Lincoln cent looks like it took a hit at the date to move the "2" around, and is not the super rare 1943 coin by simple comparison.

Bronze is 95% copper, which is a very soft metal and can result in hits moving things around.

1943 (P) Lincoln Cent Bronze.jpg

And the post title is WAY to long.  I almost skipped the topic since I didn't really feel like reading through the title. ;)

Edited by EagleRJO

Has anyone else noticed how many times damaged coins “just turn out to be valuable pieces” (uh huh) at rates far above undamaged coins? Yeah. Let’s think critically about how statistically impossible that would be. Can we agree that too much “wishcraft” is at work here? I understand the psychology of this. Why does seemingly no one else see it? Or are we just being cowed by modern expectations of “positivity”? You know what being “positive” is in the face of evidence to the contrary? It’s being a liar, whether to oneself or someone else.

On 5/22/2023 at 5:59 PM, EagleRJO said:

1943 (P) Lincoln Cent Bronze.jpg

And the post title is WAY to long.  I almost skipped the topic since I didn't really feel like reading through the title. ;)

Or as MM would have put it, "I stopped reading after '1943 copper'..."  [Punctuation has gone the way of penmanship. Just isn't being taught anymore, hence the run-on sentence.]  The one unasked question is, What would it be worth in the condition it's in? I do not believe it can be certified. P.S. And the post title is WAY too long.  🤣

:news:

As the ultimate compliment a collector can pay a new member (who joined first thing Monday morning) eagar to get his matter dispatched with due diligence, I asked my wife to view your coin. Thing is, she's got cataracts and glaucoma. I have those two and a third, macular degeneration.  So what better people to ask than those whose vision is inpaired, right?

I unhurriedly displayed each of the photos you've provided and it grieves me to no end to say i spoke as she were a witness in the dock and she magnified the images every which way, turned, looked me directly in the eye and firmly but quietly pronounced each digit in her native French:

Un-Neuf-Quatre et Doux.

One- Nine- Four and Two.

So there you have it.  I see the "sickle" you've mentioned, but better it be in this deplorable, pitted and anorexic condition as a 1942 than a 1943.  [I once had an 1894-O Barber dime in Very Fair condition. True, that grade does not exist, but I insisted it was better and closer to Good than Fair.. Problem was a pizza slicer-type tool was used to diagonally cross the upper obverse, rather prominently, destroying what otherwise would have been a rare coin easily valued at $20 or $25. So I sympathize with your plight.]  It would not hurt to keep it and solicit opinions as to why it's in the shape it's in.  I urge you to continue to explore this site; you will see and hear things I don't think you find elsewhere. Happy hunting!  (thumbsu

On 5/22/2023 at 3:00 PM, Sandon said:

It's amazing how some people just see what they want to see.

It’s amazing that since the creation of online assistance ( YouTube), the proliferation of online sales availability and the legalization of many controlled substances by many states, pareidolia has become a numismatic aptitude? 🤔 

To the membership:

But, but... what about the part about finding the penny (actually a "cent") under a 120-year old house? [I am beginning to feel like Henry Fonda in that 1957 classic, "12 Angry Men."]  So the house dates back to about 1903 and a 194[3] copper cent was found lying under it presumably for no longer than 80 years, if lost when brand-new. That would certainly explain the extensive PMD, or post-mint damage, such as corrosion and pitting resulting in weight loss. As it stands, there is only one thing that would save the day [though a gentleman from Virginia might vociferously object] and that is if it were found wrapped inside of a page of a local newspaper dated no earlier than Jan. 1, 1943.  

The defense rests.