• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought Myself A 68th Birthday Present

18 posts in this topic

Happy Birthday Kurt!!! I celebrated mine last weekend. I didnt get to get a gift yet but Im planning on getting myself another GW for my set here in a couple weeks. Im holding out till I can find the right one. 

On 5/20/2023 at 8:15 PM, VKurtB said:

"Happy Birthday to me..."

I bought myself a new Abafil Diplomat 1 case that has twelve 2-1/8 x 2-1/8 inch openings, for any 2x2 material I pick up at auctions and/or shows and conventions. It will cut its eyeteeth at ANA Summer Seminar with any lots I win at the YN Benefit Auction. It fits in my leather case right next to my Macintosh Air M2. So much organization; I may barf. I may have to pen a little love note for the guys to pass on to David Carr from his BFF Roger, too. LOL. :roflmao:

Photos?

happy Birthday!

On 5/21/2023 at 9:21 AM, Zebo said:

Photos?

happy Birthday!

Photos? PHOTOS!?!? I'm 68! Do you realize how often I misplace my phone??? At least 10 times a day.

On 5/20/2023 at 10:10 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Happy Birthday Kurt!!! I celebrated mine last weekend. I didnt get to get a gift yet but Im planning on getting myself another GW for my set here in a couple weeks. Im holding out till I can find the right one. 

On 5/21/2023 at 10:03 AM, VKurtB said:

Found the iPad. IMG_0151.thumb.jpeg.b242e14106fb075ee399e317444850e1.jpeg

This is literally my fifth Abafil case product, and by far the smallest.

happy birthday.png

On 5/21/2023 at 8:48 AM, VKurtB said:

Photos? PHOTOS!?!? I'm 68! Do you realize how often I misplace my phone??? At least 10 times a day.

I left my phone on the mountain (on purpose) during the fall after getting a call from from someone wondering where I was, while I was elk hunting. I am a little older than you and wonder sometimes if the excuse of forgetting has more to do with necessity than it does age.  🤔 Have a great beginning to your 69th year.

On 5/21/2023 at 2:43 PM, R__Rash said:

I left my phone on the mountain (on purpose) during the fall after getting a call from from someone wondering where I was, while I was elk hunting. I am a little older than you and wonder sometimes if the excuse of forgetting has more to do with necessity than it does age.  🤔 Have a great beginning to your 69th year.

Elk don't usually have big Contacts lists.

That's an awesome gift you got yourself! Keeping things organized and ready for the ANA Summer Seminar sounds like a plan. It's cool that you're all set for the YN Benefit Auction, too. Wishing you lots of enjoyment with your new case and your upcoming auction wins. And if you ever decide to get yourself another nice gift, check out these custom gifts ideas. There are a lot of things to treat yourself!

Edited by eriodadarrio

On 5/21/2023 at 11:03 AM, VKurtB said:

Found the iPad. IMG_0151.thumb.jpeg.b242e14106fb075ee399e317444850e1.jpeg

This is literally my fifth Abafil case product, and by far the smallest.

Look like very nice boxes. Ive seen these advertised before. Ive seen pictures of coins laying in them exposed with no other protection and Ive seen coins put in plastic capsules first and then put in them. How do you usually store yours in them? I would think they would slide around in there without some other form of protection around them. I would understand if the coin were big enough to fill the whole square and not have enough room to slide. But in the pictures I saw they had small coins laying in the squares with no capsule around them. What keeps the smaller coins from sliding and causing abrasion marks?  

If that case fails to provide conclusive proof of where you stand on buying coins raw, in-hand and sight-seen only, I guess nothing else will. FWIW, the tooled leather-bound volume in a slip case that mimics a book on a shelf, can accommodate no more than nine slabs arranged in 3-3-3 rows per page, with a comfortable maximum storage space of 4 pages, or 36 slabbed coins.

Very lovely birthday gift!  [Quite belated greetings, but my thanks to Hog for reviving the thread.] 

That case (the Abafil Diplomat 1) (my college alma mater team nickname is “the Diplomats”) gets filled with empty 2x2 vinyl coin holders TEMPORARILY for any coin event, such as an ANA or FUN show or auction. Then, if I acquire something already in any 2x2, one of the temporaries comes out and gets thrown in a briefcase. I only use the vinyls for TEMPORARY TRANSPORTATION. Nothing abrades. Look around the NYINC sometime. Abafil cases are in absolute ABUNDANCE in dealers’ cases. It is THE go to holder case for medieval and ancient coins.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/24/2023 at 1:47 PM, VKurtB said:

That case (the Abafil Diplomat 1) (my college alma mater team nickname is “the Diplomats”) gets filled with empty 2x2 vinyl coin holders TEMPORARILY for any coin event, such as an ANA or FUN show or auction. Then, if I acquire something already in any 2x2, one of the temporaries comes out and gets thrown in a briefcase. I only use the vinyls for TEMPORARY TRANSPORTATION. Nothing abrades. Look around the NYINC sometime. Abafil cases are in absolute ABUNDANCE in dealers’ cases. It is THE go to holder case for medieval and ancient coins.

Its a nice looking case. The pictures I seen advertising them may have been like dealer set ups. May be why they had small coins just laying in them unprotected. Im sure they probably aint meant to pack around with them like that. Id say they are very nice for 2x2s. Very nice looking cases. They sure are pretty expensive. 

Posted (edited)

That's wonderful! Buying yourself a birthday present is such a lovely idea. I recently did something similar for my own birthday and got myself a beautiful necklace with name on it. It felt really special and personal, and I wear it almost every day. There’s something so nice about having a piece of jewelry that’s uniquely yours, especially when it has your name. Every time I look at it, I’m reminded of the self-care and love I deserve. Celebrating your birthday with a gift to yourself is a great way to acknowledge your own worth and make the day feel even more special. Did you get something personalized as well, or was it a different kind of gift? Either way, I hope it brings you a lot of joy and reminds you of your special day. Enjoy your 68th birthday and the wonderful gift you chose for yourself!

Edited by Ronastiny

Posted (edited)

I did NOT buy myself a 69th birthday gift. 1) My broker gave me all the gifts I could imagine. Most of my equities are at all time highs, and we’re going to be moving some of my fixed income investments into equities, as those mature. My May statement will have me doing the Snoopy happy dance. 2) My wife is recovering from a third extensive orthopedic surgery in three months. Her joint / skeletal system is a complete dog’s breakfast. She has almost no major joints left that are organic. Very Bride of Frankenstein. 3) There’s not much I want or need at this point. My step-daughter is coming in to look after my wife while I go to ANA Summer Seminar in four weeks, giving the Abafil cases their one year anniversary trip. 4) On Sunday night / wee hours of Monday, we survived the scariest tornado warnings since we’ve been here. Damage on the TV is gnarly, but we lost two mid sized branches. They were dead anyway. The temperatures are positively lovely. It was hotter and more humid in Pittsburgh a couple of weeks ago than here in Alabama. 5) Speaking of Alabama, my blood pressure is being kept in check by not getting ANY election ads. 6) I don’t live anywhere near Robert DeNiro so I don’t have to worry about vomiting every five minutes. 

Edited by VKurtB