• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you see happening if the U.S. defaulted on its debt?
1 1

111 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2023 at 1:51 PM, Coinbuf said:

Actually it is not an alt, just a name change to try and hide from his QA legacy, or whatever you call his history here.

To my knowledge, excepting quoted remarks, every vestige of that name was scrubbed from the website.

On 5/19/2023 at 5:16 PM, VKurtB said:

What "alt"? Or what even IS an "alt"? I've only EVER used this one ID. (Unlike the gentleman from Morningside Heights.)

My "resume" is set forth with the name of my latest humble abode, East Harlem, listed first. I was born on Riverside Drive in Morningside Heights--now a Columbia U. dorm--next to the building that bears the plaque noting Chief Justice John Harlan Fiske once lived there. In a snippet of an eloquent dissent he maintained "the Constitution was color-blind."

On 5/19/2023 at 6:48 PM, ldhair said:

If I had started this thread, I would have put it in the cooler forum from the start. It was posted in the coin forum to create problems and it did.

If memory serves, that option elicited vociferous opposition from one member and was rejected. I  honored my pledge to stay clear of the W.C.  As to the allegation tossed in with malice aforethought that the O.P. "posted in the coin forum to create problems," is categorically baseless. Every member knows I am not smart enough to plan that far in advance with a purposely  negative result.

Edit:  If I had a choice, I would have posted on the OFF TOPIC thread, but true to the website coordinator's word--and to her everlasting credit, she decimated it but kept "French 20-franc gold rooster" which clearly was not the appropriate choice for this topic.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die polishing: rephrase with punctuation.

On 5/20/2023 at 7:50 AM, zadok said:

...sliding from a praetor to a petty thief more like a dismissal than just a change, legacy is a reach id go with record....

Not to belabor the matter any further than necessary and acknowledging the high regard and esteem you have for all members, I should like to point out that the historical figure you cited was pardoned, much like Alfred Dreyfuss decades earlier and the literary world knew nothing of him until he published his book.  As to the other figure you've alluded to, he was neither a Praetor nor a Consul and was formally addressed as Tribune, or at least he was in the 1959 epic Ben-Hur starring Charlton Heston.

My thanks to the Moderators for their patience and indulgence.

Back on Track now (minus the political commentary). Man I love this place!   🤣

Edited by Henri Charriere
Capitalization of a title.

On 5/23/2023 at 4:38 PM, Henri Charriere said:

It is an application of local custom. Perhaps coincidental, but not personal.

Local where? Sarasota? Come to think of it, geography is politics.

On 5/23/2023 at 8:01 PM, VKurtB said:

There is a complex dynamic at play here with a mix of members on one side and a panel of moderators on the other. Each ideally practices a carefully orchestrated and choreographed "performance," that is under intermittent or continual review tempered by the climate created in its wake.  Some are given wide berth and others, contrary to what the late great oldhoop may have believed, are kept at bay on a short leash. I fall squarely into the latter group.

I wish I could revel in the luxury that I am "back by popular demand" or that senior mgmt. leaves the door askew to permit my antics when the various forums stagnate, but the truth is I am dispensable. If I forget my place or overplay my hand all Moderation has to do is go back to the videotapes... and push a button.  One unassailable truth is regardless however one may feel about it: all niceties aside--and it's right there in the Guidelines--any member can be discharged for cause, or for no reason at all. So, for some, the high wire act continues. For others, Moderation is of little or no concern.  The Forum is honored by their presence and affiliation. Your longevity here speaks for itself.  (thumbsu

On 5/23/2023 at 5:51 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Dr. Samuel Alexander Mudd who set the ankle of Lincoln's assassin, John Wilkes Booth, drawing a term of imprisonment for conspiracy.  The expression, "my/his name is mud[d]" was derived from that historical incident. NGC granted my request.

I didn't know that, very interesting. ^^

The next time I see someone in need, I have a great excuse to do nothing by saying "Sorry, you may have just shot our president at a small theater, I can't take the chance of getting entangled in your conspiracy.  Have a nice day and good luck !!" xD

Works for me !! (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 5/24/2023 at 1:22 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I didn't know that, very interesting. ^^

The former TV newscaster, Roger Mudd, who died two years ago, was a distant relative.

On 5/23/2023 at 8:01 PM, VKurtB said:

...i think its called gerrymandering...speaking of which, i wish they would gerrymander the bourse floor a bit more at the bigger shows so i wouldnt have to search so hard for that one obscure coin im looking for, my legs r getting older....

On 5/24/2023 at 9:01 AM, zadok said:

...i think its called gerrymandering...speaking of which, i wish they would gerrymander the bourse floor a bit more at the bigger shows so i wouldnt have to search so hard for that one obscure coin im looking for, my legs r getting older....

Pays to know the dealers or the layout beforehand.  When I went to FUN 2020, my 1st day was a complete waste.  I managed to hit all the 2ndary and lesser dealers and didn't see ANY of the coins I wanted.  A few people from these forums told me where the better dealers congregate and I hit the mother lode on Day 2. xD

On 5/24/2023 at 8:01 AM, zadok said:

Then you SHOULD like the August ANA World's Fair of Money. They do attempt to create "sections" for various kinds of material. That said, there is a thing called the "table draw". The dealers with the most longevity pick first, and they USUALLY choose to be with their specialty, but they might choose not to. With as much as I work FOR the ANA at their shows (blue ANA golf shirt guy), the problem I have is getting enough TIME in six days to get to everywhere.

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/24/2023 at 11:38 AM, VKurtB said:

Then you SHOULD like the August ANA World's Fair of Money. They do attempt to create "sections" for various kinds of material. That said, there is a thing called the "table draw". The dealers with the most longevity pick first, and they USUALLY choose to be with their specialty, but they might choose not to. With as much as I work FOR the ANA at their shows (blue ANA golf shirt guy), the problem I have is getting enough TIME in six days to get to everywhere.

...i do attend the ANA WFM s n its better these days as far as co-locating groups of dealers but as u mention often its all over the place...

On 5/24/2023 at 10:52 AM, zadok said:

...i do attend the ANA WFM s n its better these days as far as co-locating groups of dealers but as u mention often its all over the place...

In a post-COVID-emergancy world, I expect things will be getting better fast.

On 5/23/2023 at 6:20 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Not to belabor the matter any further than necessary and acknowledging the high regard and esteem you have for all members, I should like to point out that the historical figure you cited was pardoned, much like Alfred Dreyfuss decades earlier and the literary world knew nothing of him until he published his book.  As to the other figure you've alluded to, he was neither a praetor nor a Consul and was formally addressed as Tribune, or at least he was in the 1959 epic Ben-Hur starring Charlton Heston.

My thanks to the Moderators for their patience and indulgence.

Back on Track now (minus the political commentary). Man I love this place!   🤣

... and here I've thought all along that he was the guy who got William 'Golden' Holden to volunteer to return to Sessue Hayakawa's bridge, after his miraculous prior escape.

Even Papillon would have to have been impressed, no?

FWIW:  Gerrymandering, which probably ought to be called gerrymeandering:

With heirloom furniture having falling out of favor with the up and coming generations (who are partial to all things disposable) IKEA developed their first bix box store on the Brooklyn waterfront with a sinister twist in the floor plan they had in mind.  They fixed the locations of their wares on what appeared to be a one curvy circumferential floor plan.  No one will tell you exactly where anything you are looking for actually is.  They force you to behold all of their wares by sending you down one yellow brick road in a U-shape which could very well be a mile long. In my case what I was looking for was in the last ten feet of floor space, but lacking cross-walks, or another level, I had no choice but to run the gamut with happy "helpful" floor folk constantly urging me walk a little "further," or "continue to follow the path." Diabolical!

if coin shows do this it would be akin to putting the most popular coins front and center and leaving pedestrian bullion far in the back.

Concert venues do this too. Make audiences slog through relative unknowns before seeing the main event: the Beatles or Rolling Stones.

I recall viewing the "Treasure Map" (floor plan) of the NYINC Show to which there was no rhyme or reason and decided it would probably better to make inquiry with the handful of dealers likely to have what I was looking for and avoid the time, travel and sales tax of something I can order sitting from the comfort of my home.

In deference to those who attended recitals from the vaudeville era, I will re-state that Shea Stadium was the only ballpark I have ever been in to see The Beatles chopper their way in, sing 12 songs in 30 minutes, and quickly depart the way they came.

No opening act and, lacking suitable amplification for a venue that size, do not recall hearing a single word they sang above the noisy din. They raked in $300,000. I got to see Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix later elsewhere, but never caught my favorite, Jim Morrison and The Doors.

Now let's see, by my reckoning..  if this Federal debt we keep hearing about is projected to be nearly $33 trillion in FY 2023 and the U.S. population were to be around 330,000,000 how many dollars would each man, woman and child have to ante up to put this matter to rest?

I believe that if the US were to default on its debt, the consequences would be dire. The global economy would suffer from severe instability and uncertainty, leading to a downturn in international trade and investments. Domestically, interest rates would skyrocket, making it harder for individuals and businesses to borrow money. Government programs and services could face significant cutbacks, negatively impacting citizens who depend on them. The value of the US dollar would plummet, resulting in higher inflation rates and increased costs of imported goods. I'm just a regular student and I don't want to face other problems than searching for answers for my tests (thanks to this source https://studyhippo.com/test-answers/age-of-discovery/ I don't need to do even this) In short, a default on US debt would trigger a chain reaction of economic turmoil with far-reaching implications.

Edited by Monsoon1

If the US defaults on its debt, it could have serious repercussions for the entire economy and financial system. The Treasury bond market is a key source of government funding and a default can cause financial instability. In such a situation, coin prices and demand may change significantly as economic uncertainty affects the financial behavior of collectors.

On 5/30/2023 at 9:46 PM, VKurtB said:

“The (freeloaders) will always be with you.”

...true...n by design also....

On 6/1/2023 at 6:11 AM, Jay Carpenter said:

If the US defaults on its debt, it could have serious repercussions for the entire economy and financial system. The Treasury bond market is a key source of government funding and a default can cause financial instability. In such a situation, coin prices and demand may change significantly as economic uncertainty affects the financial behavior of collectors.

Gold would probably go up, drag up silver, and they would both increase the price for numismatics.

It's all moot now, since they apparently have a deal. 

On 6/1/2023 at 10:19 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Gold would probably go up, drag up silver, and they would both increase the price for numismatics.

It was moot from the start - same ole story.

On 6/1/2023 at 11:41 AM, Zebo said:

It was moot from the start - same ole story.

Very perspicacious of you.

On 6/1/2023 at 9:21 AM, zadok said:

...true...n by design also....

Blast from the Past...

🐓:  ...why do I feel they're taking a shot at us?...

Q.A.:  ...they may very well be.... freeloaders?... why, I never!...

On 6/1/2023 at 10:19 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Troo dat!  But I still can't believe out of all the agencies they picked on, IRS was not sacrosanct.