• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chinese modern platinum coin
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I have what looks like a 1997 Chinese 5 yuan platinum coin as a pendent for a necklace. It looks like it could be valuable. Should I take it to a jeweler to get it removed from the casing and get it graded?   

1997 Platinum Panda 14k Bezel.jpeg

Welcome, A coin in a bezel will not always be easy to remove without having some marks left behind. Sorry to say. 

This coin can easily be removed from the bezel by loosening the screw at the top.  The coin may or may not have been damaged by the bezel, but it looks like a separate holder for the coin.

It could be valuable depending on the year and composition.  Also why do you think its platinum and not silver?

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/platinum/3729/most-active

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/5-yuan/3798/most-active

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/chinese-modern-coin-prices.aspx?lang=en-US&ChineseCategoryID=1&subcat=silver-panda-coin-prices

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/chinese-modern-coin-prices.aspx?lang=en-US&ChineseCategoryID=3&subcat=platinum-panda-coin-prices

It would also be helpful to post focused and cropped pics of both sides of the coin.

Edited by EagleRJO

I agree that it looks like there could be a chance that the coin may not have been damaged by mounting it in the bezel. I'd also be worried if it was actually worn and what the obv might look like.

On 5/17/2023 at 3:57 PM, EagleRJO said:

Also why do you think its platinum and not silver?

Says Pt on the rev.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/china-peoples-republic-5-yuan-km-985-1997-cuid-1065581-duid-1301282 

I don't know if the NGC price guide is wrong on this or not but I have noticed on several coins that I collect there seems to be an extra 0 added to the value by mistake. I have a feeling this could be the case here.

On 5/17/2023 at 4:18 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Says Pt on the rev.

I see that now.  Good to know for the future as I don't collect platinum coins.

On 5/17/2023 at 4:18 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I don't know if the NGC price guide is wrong on this or not but I have noticed on several coins that I collect there seems to be an extra 0 added to the value by mistake.

Yea, it does look like NGC added an extra zero as the 1/20 ounce Pt. coins have been selling in the $200 to $400 range, not in the thousands!

But those prices are just for the panda in general, and not for any specific year.  I did see that 1997 is considered a key date for the series, so just maybe the numbers in the thousands are not far off.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 5/17/2023 at 5:15 PM, EagleRJO said:

Yea, it does look like NGC added an extra zero as the 1/20 ounce Pt. coins have been selling in the $200 to $400 range, not in the thousands!

There is definitely something wrong with some of the prices for world coins. If I look in the last edition of Krause it does list this at $1,850, doesn't mean that's correct either though. If you saw some going in the $200-$400 range then I would think both are incorrect or at least outdated.

If I look at IoM 1/10 Angels in Krause it lists this one at $175 in MS65 not $1750, that's why I say an extra 0 or miss placed decimal. There are quite a few out there like this.

EDIT TO ADD: Krause lists the PF's at $187 in 65 condition, below lists the PF 63's at $1875.

image.png.4d2041de91e373cd5187a273b6353bcf.png

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

1)      I was able to successfully unscrew the screw, open the bezel, and remove the coin and onyx, but unfortunately the coin is embedded into the onyx or attached to it in some way and I don’t want to risk damaging the coin.  

2)      It has the ‘Pt’ on the coin face and also the original owner wrote ‘Platinum Panda 14K Bezel” on the box it came in.

3)      The prices that I have found online from NGC and PCGS both have the price in thousands, and so far I have been offered $700 for it.

4)      As far as I know the pendant was never worn.

5)      I will take additional photos of the face of the coin, but the back of the coin is not visible as it is embedded or attached to the onyx.

Thanks,

I think it a good move to not mess with it further since the coin may be press fit or glued into the stone, and to see if a jeweler can get the coin free without damaging it.  From doing a little more digging the 1997 Panda is the key date in the series, with a limited number struck, and could be worth thousands if in good shape.

It would be a bummer if someone glued the coin to the stone, and it can't be removed without damaging the coin, as then the damaged coin is pretty much scrap metal.

It is possible that if freed from the onyx (somehow) (being it is stone I might try to carefully break the stone if you don't care about saving the onyx) if I am not mistaken, NCS could be able to remove the glue residue if it were glued to the stone. 

I am going to a jewelry store and a coin shop tomorrow and I will see if they can do anything to separate the coin from the stone with damaging the coin. I imagine that I would need to remove the coin from the stone in order to get it graded. Is the process to get something graded at NGC straightforward? I imagine that I would need to get it graded first in order to get the best price possible. Thanks. 

On 5/17/2023 at 7:44 PM, fcaseyjr said:

Is the process to get something graded at NGC straightforward? 

To learn how to submit coins to NGC, go to the "Submit" tab near the top of the NGC home page and review the various topics, under it, especially "How To Submit", "Coins We Grade & Policies", and "Services & Fees". Submission forms and instructions are also available through this tab.

As others have stated, coins that have been removed from jewelry are usually damaged.  Hopefully, you will be lucky enough to find someone who can remove the coin without damaging it.

Edited by Sandon
correct typo

On 5/17/2023 at 7:08 PM, fcaseyjr said:

the coin is embedded into the onyx or attached to it in some way

Ew, yuck. I wasn't thinking that it might have been in a stone, I was hoping for some kind of soft gasket. 

I've seen many, many modern world fractional bullion pieces mounted similarly, it's a shame, as a several key dates and/or rarities have been treated this way. 

Good Luck! 

image.jpeg.815e7faff5d26d8fa16758feda37ae5f.jpeg

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 5/18/2023 at 6:28 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I've seen many, many modern world fractional bullion pieces mounted similarly, it's a shame, as a several key dates and/or rarities have been treated this way.

From the price guide images it does look like the coin may be a 1997 5 Yuan Platinum Panda, which is the key date for the series, consistent with what the op indicated is labeled on the box.

I can't imagine why someone would take a very valuable key date coin and have it mounted in a stone to make a pendant.  That leads me to believe the coin may be a cheap counterfeit.

The coin was likely set in the stone with an adhesive, and would need to be removed in order for NGC to authenticate and grade it.  Since stone is more porous than platinum it's possible the coin may come out fairly clean, as long as significant force isn't needed to pry it out, which could cause irreparable damage.

If the coin does come out of the stone pretty easily maybe some focused and cropped pics of both sides could be posted for people to possibly give an opinion on authenticity.

On 5/18/2023 at 10:21 AM, EagleRJO said:

That leads me to believe the coin may be a cheap counterfeit.

A definite possibility. As you said, better pics of both sides would be needed to make a determination.

On 5/18/2023 at 10:21 AM, EagleRJO said:

I can't imagine why someone would take a very valuable key date coin and have it mounted in a stone to make a pendant.

They probably didn't know it was a key date or it wasn't considered a key date at the time, or they didn't care. (shrug) It could have been mounted back in '97-'98. I imagine the attraction of a piece like this to a buyer is the precious metal content and the design, any numismatic value was probably never taken into consideration by the buyer or the seller. It was probably just a cheap piece of jewelry at the time. 

I went to a coin dealer today and he offered me $2,000 as is and $3,200 if I remove the coin from the onyx without damaging it. A 2nd coin dealer suggested that I sell it at auction. 

On 5/18/2023 at 7:36 PM, fcaseyjr said:

I went to a coin dealer today and he offered me $2,000 as is and $3,200 if I remove the coin from the onyx without damaging it.

Nice!  Did you talk to a jeweler to see if they might be able to get the coin out without damaging it?  Or maybe just accept the $2k and let the coin dealer assume that risk.

A gemologist at the jewelry store said it couldn’t be removed without damaging it, but the jeweler was out sick. I inquired at a coin auction company, but haven’t spoken to anyone yet. 

I am in agreement with @EagleRJO. If you got that offer, I would take the $2K and run! For that price, I would let whoever put up the offer deal with trying to get the coin out without damaging it, and you would have the $$$$ in the event the coin isn't genuine to begin with and is maybe just a replica. Assuming the coin cannot be removed without damaging it, I would think you are ahead money wise in the whole deal if you accept the 2K.

I'd take the 2K. I'd be surprised if it graded high enough to fetch much more than that, if it can even be removed. 

Been doing a little more digging on this and NGC Chinese Modern Coin Price Guide had some good info on this coin. Prices at grade match up with PCGS and recent auctions, with prices trending down.

image.thumb.png.4fc856a8a5f7a2008f83283a4fc3fb11.png