• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964-D quarter die clash
2 2

16 posts in this topic

I call this the dollar general quarter, got it back in change after a purchase. I'm not finding die clash in the research on a 64. It's happing at 3 o'clock behind washington head. Looked at a overlay,  it seems to be the wing of the eagle on reverse. Showing this to get others opinion. Thanks 

20230511_130358.jpg

20230511_130408.jpg

Why do you think that's a clash, and not simply a die chip?

[And why is there so much blank space in this post?]

Edited by EagleRJO

On 5/11/2023 at 1:57 PM, EagleRJO said:

Why do you think that's a clash, and not simply a die chip?

Wouldn't a die chip be a little clump of metal pieces. This is bubbled like a shape of a die clash. Hmmm I might be wrong. Is there other types of die chips than what I'm saying here. I'm confused :Shm

Based on your photo, the anomaly looks like a lump, which would be a die chip, not a reverse image of a corresponding portion of the reverse die, which would indicate a clash mark.  Perhaps a close-up image of the affected area would show something else.  

It's certainly unusual to receive a silver coin in change in recent years.

On 5/11/2023 at 2:19 PM, Sandon said:

Based on your photo, the anomaly looks like a lump, which would be a die chip, not a reverse image of a corresponding portion of the reverse die, which would indicate a clash mark.  Perhaps a close-up image of the affected area would show something else.  

It's certainly unusual to receive a silver coin in change in recent years.

Here's a close up pic. Didn't know this was also called a die chip. I need to study more. Love information like this it keeps me busy. And yes it's rare nowadays to receive silver in change. I was totally shocked. Probably be another few years to see that again. 

On 5/11/2023 at 2:38 PM, Hinkle said:

Here's a close up pic. Didn't know this was also called a die chip. I need to study more. Love information like this it keeps me busy. And yes it's rare nowadays to receive silver in change. I was totally shocked. Probably be another few years to see that again. 

20230511_142853.jpg

It still appears to be a die chip, which results from a piece of metal missing from the die other than from an advanced die break that formed a similar but usually larger lump called a "cud". When a coin is struck metal fills the depression left by the chip, causing a lump. A coin can have one die chip or any number of them, and they come in a variety of shapes and sizes. (Did you think that the lump is the piece of die steel that came off the die?)  A coin struck from a clashed die would tend to show the outline of the shallowest features of the reverse die, not just those as deep as this lump.

U.S. coins from the late 1940s to about the mid-1960s seem to have been made from dies that frequently chipped. The so-called "BIE" Lincoln cents from the 1950s and the clogged numerals on 1960 small date cents that led to the adoption of the larger date style are examples. Some months back I posted the following topic about the "BIE" and related cents:

On 5/11/2023 at 3:11 PM, Sandon said:

It still appears to be a die chip, which results from a piece of metal missing from the die other than from an advanced die break that formed a similar but usually larger lump called a "cud". When a coin is struck metal fills the depression left by the chip, causing a lump. A coin can have one die chip or any number of them, and they come in a variety of shapes and sizes. (Did you think that the lump is the piece of die steel that came off the die?)  A coin struck from a clashed die would tend to show the outline of the shallowest features of the reverse die, not just those as deep as this lump.

U.S. coins from the late 1940s to about the mid-1960s seem to have been made from dies that frequently chipped. The so-called "BIE" Lincoln cents from the 1950s and the clogged numerals on 1960 small date cents that led to the adoption of the larger date style are examples. Some months back I posted the following topic about the "BIE" and related cents:

Thank you

On 5/11/2023 at 4:38 PM, Hinkle said:

Didn't know this was also called a die chip. I need to study more.

Try the following webpage with info on "die chips" from the error-ref.com site.  That is a great site in general to read up on coin errors which seems to be an interest of yours.

https://www.error-ref.com/die-chips/

On 5/11/2023 at 3:41 PM, Hinkle said:

20230511_142853.jpg

Measles.