• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damaged mint sets
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hello and I apologize if this has been discussed before, I tried searching the forums and didnt find what I was looking for. I recently started really going through my old coin collection that I received years ago when my father passed. He and I would collect coins when I was a child but stopped due to personal reasons (among them being my own ignorance and stupidity as a young kid). Anyways, I have been going through the couple of boxes of what I have to see if anything is worth keeping. (the collection was damaged when I received it while my father still had them due to his basement being flooded and the boxes they were stored in got wet. most of the damage is to the information sheets / paper / cardboard holders that the coins / mint sets were being held in, (see the attached pictures) from The "Postal Commemorative Society". the paper / cardboard sheets are all water damaged and the mint sets look to be in questionable condition. My question is are they still worth keeping in the original cello holders, or would it be best to remove the coins and place them in protective flips? the attached pictures are only of 2 of the sheets but I have sheets ranging from 66 to 2000 (missing only years 1982 & 1983). I removed the sets from the sheet since the sheet was water damaged. 

thank you for your time and input! 

1968 (1).jpg

1968 (2).jpg

1969 (1).jpg

1969 (2).jpg

20230427_062543.jpg

Edited by Endling_King

Welcome what you have is a cool third party collection. I would leave it as is. The coins in the mint sets are not worth a lot buy themselves except for maybe a few key dates. I think it is collectable as it is. It was also something from your childhood to remember. 

On 4/27/2023 at 7:57 AM, J P M said:

Welcome what you have is a cool third party collection. I would leave it as is. The coins in the mint sets are not worth a lot buy themselves except for maybe a few key dates. I think it is collectable as it is. It was also something from your childhood to remember. 

thank you, while they are interesting and do have childhood memories attached, those memories are less then pleasant because of my lack of respect for the collection and the significance of it as a hobby between father and son. I think they would be better used in a different way. I have several coin albums I and working on and think that the mint sets would be possible nice additions to the empty spots in the albums.  

Albums .jpg

On 4/27/2023 at 8:31 AM, Endling_King said:

thank you, while they are interesting and do have childhood memories attached, those memories are less then pleasant because of my lack of respect for the collection and the significance of it as a hobby between father and son. I think they would be better used in a different way. I have several coin albums I and working on and think that the mint sets would be possible nice additions to the empty spots in the albums.  

Albums .jpg

Well there you go. A new beginning for some old coins. Don't forget to save the mint chips, people collect those also. 

On 4/27/2023 at 2:04 PM, J P M said:

Well there you go. A new beginning for some old coins. Don't forget to save the mint chips, people collect those also. 

Do they? I wasn't aware of that. I will deff do that. thank you!