• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JFK Conspiracies. . . or maybe just questions (1/8)
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Double-Die is deleterious for me.  LOL, yeah, I had to look up the word before I chose to use it.  I can’t determine what is legit and what is ghost-like die erosion doubling, shelf-like strike or die doubling, microscope/scanner trickery, etc., etc., etc….  I have a few rolls of 60’s JFK’s and the bookmarked website for NGC Variety Plus coins, which for me is an extremely dangerous combination!  I found some examples that have DD effect and I would like to verify what is what.  I will try to focus on anomalies that I think are of note, but if I miss anything, please let me know.  I have an idea that only a couple of my examples will be legit regarding doubling.  I also have a funny feeling that a couple of things I did not point out may be something of note.  Any info would be fantastic and appreciated! Thanks in advance!

A: 1964: Obverse: Although I see vague doubling at different spots, I think there is nothing legit.  Reverse: “DOLLAR” has what I see to be doubling strongest on D-O-L-L-A, a few other letters look suspicious, but I will refrain from diving down the rabbit-hole just yet.

zpA-64p-O.jpg

zpA-64p-R.jpg

zpA-64p-R2.jpg

Please use 1 thread for your Kennedy half dollar questions. All of the repetitions just irritate members and discourage them from responding. (The edge/rim bump below "D" would likely prevent "grading" by a TPG.)

My apologies for the redundancy, but the size restrictions for pics is quite limiting.  Also, based on the topic: "What you need to know about posting coins for inquiry" I thought it was preferred to post individual coins.  Each of the 8 posts is of a separate coin which has different aspects of what see as doubling.  I am trying to understand the differences with various doubling effects.  Thank you for the input, I will consider more carefully what and how to post. 

On 4/26/2023 at 12:21 PM, RWB said:

Please use 1 thread for your Kennedy half dollar questions.

On 4/26/2023 at 12:53 PM, cobymordet said:

My apologies for the redundancy ...

Well, the forum instructions do say one coin per thread.  (shrug)

On 4/26/2023 at 12:07 PM, cobymordet said:

I can’t determine what is legit and what is ghost-like die erosion doubling, shelf-like strike or die doubling

The attached my help.  For additional resources on doubling see the sticky topic at the top of the topic listings.

Errors - Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

On 4/26/2023 at 12:31 PM, Greenstang said:

I agree, I’m not reading through and replying to 8 posts about the same coin.

@Greenstang same here .. lol 

I was beginning to think the late Oxy-clean commercial guy Billy Mays was here asking questions about the same coin in 8 different post. Apparently they are of all different coins in each post  

C61050F8-D820-4515-92DE-FB31F863AEDB.jpeg