• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Guatmalan coin
1 1

9 posts in this topic

This coin has me wondering if I have found something rare, I counted at least 5 die cracks. I am new here my name is Mike, this is the first coin I am thinking about getting graded but only if it is worth more than it will cost. hope everyone had a great weekend planned!

IMG_0384.thumb.JPG.35f4409c30b1aee1e97306de18a9d69c.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

PICT0022.jpg

PICT0023.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0029.jpg

PICT0013.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

@MIke_Mike welcome to forums 

@Greenstang is right this coin you have in your picture is not worth sending in for grading it’s a low end coin … as for Die cracks ? That’s pretty common on world coins I see a lot world coins with all kinds of errors on them however the bad news is they are not worth any interest to error coin collectors that more of a U.S fad for U.S coinage … 

Oh by the way my wife is a 100% born and raised Mayan Indian from Guatemala 🇬🇹 She moved to USA in mid 1980’s , I have to start a Guatemala coin collection someday soon for and her heritage 

Edited by Jason Abshier

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The NGC World Coin Price Guide is a handy tool for identifying and valuing foreign coins, although the retail prices shown are often unrealistically high. Go to the "Resources" tab on the NGC home page and look under "Price Guides. I looked up your 1922 Guatemala 50 centavo piece. Here is the link to its listing: World Coin Price Guide and Values | NGC (ngccoin.com).  There are two varieties that are based on the thickness of the numerals "50", but both are priced the same.  In this worn and corroded condition, it is only worth a few dollars, assuming that you could find a collector or dealer who would want to buy it. As others have stated, the die cracks add little or no value.

While there are exceptions, nineteenth and twentieth century base metal coins from obscure countries tend to have little market value.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Foreign mints did not have the same standards as the US mints and many foreign coins were produced with errors but have little to no intrinsic value. When a die cracks the metal flow from the strike flows into the cracks in the die and produces a coin like the one you presented. It happens in every coin making process (the US not exempt) due to wear and the high pressures used to strike coins. While creating a difference in appearance, they are not considered rare nor an error as it happens as a normal part of the minting process. As far as collectability, they have not caused any premiums for collectors, even over time and some collectors will pass on these coins as they prefer to get specimens in the best state possible.

As you stated that you have several different coins, as mentioned by Sandon, the NGC World Price Guide is a handy tool for checking values. I will say though to a new collector, the tool is a little difficult to use for more obscure coins where either a country is not readily known or a denomination is not on the coin itself. In those cases you can try a Google Search or if your phone has Google Lens to establish what the coin is.

I have almost learned Arabic numbers by using google image search, I am not exactly new to coin collecting I did it as a kid in the late 70's last month it got kick started again when I went to a thrift store before going to the VA for an eye appointment and the had a box with coins for 50 cents each so I took most of the older British large cents dating back to 1879, they also had a shiny silver coin for 5 dollars that was an Iowa centennial coin that I thought was plated, when I took it out of the holder to look at it I noticed an inch of the reeded edge was smooth and it said "060 .999 F.S.". I will put the Guatemalan coin away and let my kids find it when they get all my stuff when I'm gone. I wasn't expecting much more that a 3$ premium for it being an error

On 4/22/2023 at 11:48 PM, MIke_Mike said:

I have almost learned Arabic numbers by using google image search, I am not exactly new to coin collecting I did it as a kid in the late 70's last month it got kick started again when I went to a thrift store before going to the VA for an eye appointment and the had a box with coins for 50 cents each so I took most of the older British large cents dating back to 1879, they also had a shiny silver coin for 5 dollars that was an Iowa centennial coin that I thought was plated, when I took it out of the holder to look at it I noticed an inch of the reeded edge was smooth and it said "060 .999 F.S.". I will put the Guatemalan coin away and let my kids find it when they get all my stuff when I'm gone. I wasn't expecting much more that a 3$ premium for it being an error

@MIke_Mike well in that case welcome back to the coin collecting hobby…I’m sure now a days the coin collecting hobby looks a lot more different than it did back in 70’s .. today there’s a lot more knowledge in hobby now books been written on world coins today makes it more easier for us to collect stuff, catalog and give it market value… back in 70’s 80’s even 90’s early 2000’s dealers were not really hyped or interested in world coins they would throw large 10-20lbs of mixed world coins in Bargain bins they could be bought cheap … fast forward today internet and auctions and so on some old world coins have increased values … Although there’s still a lot world coins that aren’t worth much at all but still fun to collect for their designs or so on. 

if you want to get a little more serious about collecting world coins that are worth more money or build a collection for your kids to have when you pass on someday, stick around here and take a look in world coins section read some forums on here you’ll learn a lot stuff some of us invest a lot of our time reading books and socializing on here about world coins we learn something new everyday. Same could be said about US coins as well on here