• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Regarding Roosevelt. . . (2of4). . .
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello All,  I ran thru some Roseys and found a couple of hopefuls.  Here is a second possible "Pointed 9". 

I would to get more experienced opinions on whether this coin would be considered a "Pointed 9".  I will be posting more coins individually.  Thanks in advance.

Found in: Varieties Plus:

1964 D POINTED 9 10C MS

Cross Reference: CONECA: ODV-012

pE.64d-O.jpg

pE.64d-O.jpg

pE.64d-O2.jpg

Decades ago there was interest in collecting the "Pointed 9" 1964 dime varieties, but nowadays they are largely unknown. This appears to be one.  Breen's Encyclopedia (1988) estimated the mintage of the 1964-D with this characteristic to be below 40 million (out of the approximately 1.358 billion mintage) and about 2 million for the 1964 out of its mintage of over 929 million.

Yeah, sorry, my sarcasm gets the best of me sometimes.  I expect limited value in what I find primarily due to the condition of the coins.  My father has been acquiring/collecting coins all his life (80+years).  He has never been a serious collector, only minimal purchasing through the mint and other second-hand collectors.  He basically hoards coins of less-than collector level quality and never sorts them.  I collect sports cards and stamps and have decided to help him organize, collate and inspect for varieties/errors, etc...  I have been crash-coursing through as I go and wow it hurts a bit!  Since he is not as familiar with the lesser known varieties, it's fun to show him stuff he isn't aware of.  I love this site as a resource and all who help out for those of us less knowledgeable. 

Real no significant differences noted on graded examples between the the two noted varieties. Rarely even see them anymore with the variety noted on the holders from TPG.

On 5/15/2023 at 5:39 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

This makes the coin tremendously valuable; just not monetarily. IMO this is what numismatics is all about.

I agree , spending time with family in my opinion is priceless.  

I believe that is the pointed 9 variety, but I am not sure if that would even tickle the fancy of a Roosy collector even if it were in MS. Once it was discovered that it was quite common, it lost desirability and might now only be requested on a TPG label by a hardcore Roosy collector putting together a type set or registry set.

On the other note in this thread, the time you are spending on your project simply cannot be measured. I guarantee you will look back on it some day with cherished memories. (thumbsu