• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 D Bicentennial Quarter DDO FS-101 Grade?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I found this 1976 D Bicentennial Quarter DDO FS-101 Roll hunting and am wondering what possible grade(s) it would receive if sent off for grading and if it would receive "environmental damage". I'm thinking VF to low XF if it even got a straight grade.

S20230420_0001.jpg

S20230420_0002.jpg

S20230420_0003.jpg

S20230420_0004.jpg

I would grade the coin Extremely Fine in terms of detail. A grading service might (over)grade it About Uncirculated but would likely details grade it as having "environmental damage" or "corrosion" due to the patches of discoloration, some of which appear to involve raised encrustations.

I'm not familiar with sale prices for this variety. Unless you think it would still be worth at least several hundred dollars in an impaired state, I don't think that it would be worth the cost of submission, even to ANACS.

I would say the coin is XF but has some environmental damage so it would probably get a details grade.

I would question however why you would even think of submitting this coin in the first place? This is a clad quarter and the condition it is in without the environmental damage would only set this coin's value at about fifty cents. There is absolutely no reason to slab this coin. As far as bicentennial quarters, I have a bag of about 400 of them from spare change. I started saving them when I started collecting coins over 40 years ago and just keep throwing the ones I get in change into the bag. I call them drummer boy quarters. I have one graded but it is an S silver in mid MS and I wanted better protection for it (I also thought it was going to grade higher but it didn't). It would be a huge dollar loss to have this graded by any TPG. Keep it in a flip or an album.

On 4/20/2023 at 11:21 AM, Origami Master said:

I'm thinking VF to low XF if it even got a straight grade.

I think your right, and hope that was just a hypothetical reference to sending it in for grading.

On 4/20/2023 at 11:36 PM, powermad5000 said:

I would say the coin is XF but has some environmental damage so it would probably get a details grade.

I would question however why you would even think of submitting this coin in the first place? This is a clad quarter and the condition it is in without the environmental damage would only set this coin's value at about fifty cents. There is absolutely no reason to slab this coin. As far as bicentennial quarters, I have a bag of about 400 of them from spare change. I started saving them when I started collecting coins over 40 years ago and just keep throwing the ones I get in change into the bag. I call them drummer boy quarters. I have one graded but it is an S silver in mid MS and I wanted better protection for it (I also thought it was going to grade higher but it didn't). It would be a huge dollar loss to have this graded by any TPG. Keep it in a flip or an album.

I also started saving the Bicentennials in 76 thinking they may be worth something some day. (WRONG) I still like them I had a some coffee cans full but I thinned them out a few years back. If it is not a 66 or higher it is just a quarter to spend. 

Edited by J P M

Did you read the Question? It's the DDO FS-101, clearly seen by the spread the westward spread on the word "Liberty", as well as slight splitting on the bottom left serif of the "B" and "E". And according to the PCGS price guide website, even in a G-4 grade, it is worth $20.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:52 AM, Origami Master said:

Did you read the Question? It's the DDO FS-101, clearly seen by the spread the westward spread on the word "Liberty", as well as slight splitting on the bottom left serif of the "B" and "E". And according to the PCGS price guide website, even in a G-4 grade, it is worth $20.

Sorry OM ,Yes I did see the doubling I like it I think it is cool. I would grade it VF but it may get a details grade with the marks and corrosion. 

My apologies. I didn't think this variety got as much as is shown in the price guide. However, I do know that details coins basically lose 1/3 of the values listed in price guides and I do believe it would get a details for environmental damage. If it graded not as XF but VF, you might be lucky just to break even on sale of it with the cost of grading. As I tell most people though, it is your money and if you want to submit it, nobody can tell you that you can't.

even if it straight graded XF it would still likely be a loss submitting it due to the tight raw/slabbed value spread of lower cost coins.

OP - your quarter might have a "guide" value of $20, but it is not and never was worth that. If you tried to sell you coin, in an expensive slab or a paper bag, you might get $5 in clean, sharp AU.