• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1934 Peace Dollar

10 posts in this topic

I took this pic using the suggestions of a member (JPM).  Outside in natural light, white background, about six inches above the coin, elbow resting on something to steady the phone.

Is it better than all of the previous ones?

20230418_135901.jpg

20230418_135929.jpg

20230418_135940.jpg

I bid at storage locker auctions.  Sometimes there are coins in them, among other collectibles.  This forum has helped me sort out which ones are real and which are fakes.  

Edited by Fitzz
More info

The coin purports to be a 1934-S, another issue that is valuable in higher grades and as such a target of counterfeiters.  The mint mark is below "ONE" and just above the eagle's tail. Most obviously, the lettering and the eagle's feathers are all stronger than on a genuine one, as in these NGC Explorer photos:

1934 S $1 MS

1934 S $1 MS

It's hard to believe that anyone would keep any genuine coins in a storage locker!

This 1934 S is a terrible fake and another of the OP's coins that punched me in the face right when I looked at the first pic. Much better pics. Too bad another counterfeit.

And well, people do leave stuff in those lockers Sandon. I remember reading one story in the news that a buyer of a locker found over 1 million dollars in cash in it. I have heard of coins being found in them but not any coins of extreme rarity or high value. It wouldn't be necessary to stash a single coin or a few of high value in a locker as it could very easily be hidden within a household and be much safer. I myself hid a time capsule in my current location when I ripped out and redid the kitchen pantry. I sealed into the space behind the new pantry a sealed plastic bag with a Buffalo Nickel, a Lincoln Wheat, an old stamp, a button from an old pair of jeans, and some other random items. Nothing of rarity or high grade, just some things from the past that someone a super long time from now (most likely after I have passed on) might find and be filled with wonder at. I did find in this unit about a dozen Lincoln wheats behind the baseboards left by the builders, and in the previous unit I found about 10 Lincoln Wheats and 2 Mercury dimes hidden behind those baseboards left by the builders. One of the Mercs was a 1934 and actually graded as MS 65. People do things that others cannot fully explain.

Taking about stashing things doing a reno, an English couple found $842,330 worth of gold coins under a floor during a kitchen reno ...

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/429217-english-gold-coin-hoard/#comment-9823387

And about the storage lockers, I have heard that sometimes older people put a bunch of their belongings in them when they have to move to say a retirement home, but they just can't let go or sell off some of their stuff and they may feel more secure stashing valuables like coins in them.