• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 SMS cents

12 posts in this topic

Have this 1964 Special Mint Set.  There are two pennies in it in fairly decent shape.  One has a "d" mint mark; and the other has no mint mark.  Posted the picks.  I heard the pennies are worth something because they have a satin finish.  Well, I don't know a satin finish when I see one.  But I know they are not as shiny as the 1964 proof pennies I have in Proof Sets.  Anybody got any info or opinions?

20230416_174129.jpg

20230416_174234.jpg

20230416_174157.jpg

20230416_174208.jpg

20230416_174241.jpg

20230416_174247.jpg

Edited by Fitzz
Updated info and typo

Welcome, I have not seen a mint set quite like that one. The coins inside the holder have tarnished from being handled. The skin oil from who ever put the set together was not very carful and the coins have lost most of there original luster. I would just leave this set alone and enjoy it the way it is. 

I see what you mean.  There is definitely some toning on the nickel, dime and quarter.  A little toning on the Kennedy half as well.  Thanks for your opinion.

Special Mint Sets were only issued in 1965, 66 and 67.  The sets of regular uncirculated coins issued by the U.S. Mint in 1964, though informally called "mint sets" by collectors, were called "uncirculated coin sets" by the mint and were packaged in two flat soft plastic sheets (one for each mint) that was enclosed in a white envelope.  Your set was undoubtedly assembled and packaged by a private company.  Here's what a U.S. Mint issued 1964 uncirculated coin set looks like:

scan0001.thumb.jpg.65e77805d4c0eeb7dbbe0ac4312f910c.jpg

Sorry for the typo in the topic heading.  I meant to write "1964 SMS pennies."   But I don't know how to edit this at this point.

Edited by Fitzz
mistakes

But I don't know how to edit this at this point.

Click on your original post. There will be 3 dots in the upper right hand corner.

Click there then click edit.  Make your changes then repost. While your at it, change pennies to cents for the proper term.

On 4/17/2023 at 9:14 AM, Fitzz said:

Sorry for the typo in the topic heading.  I meant to write "1964 SMS pennies."   But I don't know how to edit this at this point.

The question of whether there actually ARE any such things as 1964 SMS ANYTHING is an extremely controversial and heated subject. Most knowledgeable numismatists HERE deny they exist at all. There are those who disagree, granted. Don't buy into the hype. IF they exist at all, they're ALL accounted for and there are none out there waiting to be found. By the way, your new topic predates the Norman conquest of England. But what's two or three years among friends, right?

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/19/2023 at 2:17 PM, VKurtB said:

By the way, your new topic predates the Norman conquest of England. But what's two or three years among friends, right?

My mind convinced me it was 1964 SMS, and I went right past that.  It's amazing how when you expect to see something you can go right past it.

There is a name for that, but my mind convinced me to go right past that too.  :insane:

Edited by EagleRJO

On 4/19/2023 at 2:28 PM, Fitzz said:

With Greenstang's helpful advice I was able to correct the topic typo.  Apologies again.

It's all just good fun. If you can't laugh at coin people, you don't understand. Most of us are SOMEWHERE on "the spectrum", particularly exhibitors.