• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i have a 2022 double strike penny

11 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

Your 2022-D Lincoln cent could be a legitimate in-collar double struck piece, although its surfaces and the characteristics of the multiple images don't look right to me. It could have been faked. I would also like to see some additional opinions. 

Multiple strikes of current composition Lincoln cents generically list $35 in the 7th edition deluxe "Redbook" (2021) and, while this one may be worth somewhat more if authentic, it probably wouldn't be worth the cost of submission to a grading service.

It looks close to me the % of rotation looks less obverse and more reverse that is the only thing that makes me wonder. I would say send it in to  John Wexler but I think he has retired. CONECA may be the place to send it.

Hello and welcome to the chat board!

Being there is both incuse and raised details as part of the original strike, especially on the reverse (E PLURIBUS UNUM being incuse in the shield, and ONE CENT being raised on the ribbon) I would say this would be very difficult to fake as it really would be tough to do this with a vise as I don't think you could come close to the pressure needed to "recreate" the second strike. My leaning is that the second strike is weaker and would make sense since the metal flow already occurred on the blank planchet from the first strike and wouldn't flow the same on the second strike making that strike weaker. Also, the orientation of the rotation on both sides seems to be in line that the coin rotated some before the second strike, and not as in a fake where the orientation would be "off" because the faker couldn't get the proper alignment. I am leaning that the coin is a legitimate error. It has elements from a pivoted die error as shown on error-ref.com or you can go right to it from this link : www.error-ref.com/pivoted-die-error/

I disagree that if being a legit error it would not be worth submitting. Error collectors pay more for coins with more bizarre errors and seems the more messed up the images are, the more they pay for the coin. I would think from seeing raw error Lincoln cents with off center strikes which are common as far as errors in Lincoln cents go selling at auction on eBay for anywhere between $20-$40, that this being a less common error would sell on an eBay auction for more like $50-$75 certified in the slab with a proper grade which would cover the cost to submit it (as long as the submitter was including it in a larger submission of say 10-20 coins and not as a single coin submission thus basically eliminating the shipping fees to and from for it being part of a full submission).

I agree with Just Bob, there is no way for that much detail to remain from the first strike.  The fields of the second strike would completely obliterate the details in that area. This is what a double struck cent looks like.1952-d-cent-double-struck-ha-lead

In addition to there being the obverse and reverse rotation difference (enough right there), as well as the lack of detail loss, there appears to be a difference in the fonts.  Look at the upper loop of the 2 in the date and the last T in Trust.

So it definitely looks like is it's faked, but I am left wondering how it was done.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions guys, I figured it was fake.  
It was probably done with a soft die but unless you had a hydraulic press, you. 
would not be able to get the 223 tons of pressure needed to duplicate the strike.