• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an NGC graded coin have the wrong picture on file?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a 2023 Britannia Early Release NGC ms69 coin. When I looked up the coin on NGCcoin/verify the front of the coin looked correct, but the back of the coin was not. The coin I received has a decent scratch across King Charle's face, but the picture on NGC's site does not. The coin was also not seated in the same exact spot. You can see the F doesn't align the same way in the case. So my first thoughts were maybe this was opened and got damaged or swapped out, but the case it's self is not damaged. Then for the heck of it I started changing the last digit of the serial number. So my coin ends in 152 and I typed in 156. The coin for 156 looks just like the coin I have, so now I'm wondering if it's possible that NGC switched up the images by mistake. The front is easy to make sure it's the same cause you see the serial number, but the back does not show that number so it can be easily mixed up. Is it possible for that to happen, and if so is there a way to fix that mix up?

My Coin is the first picture. The NGC photo with my serial number is in the second photo, and the last photo is the NGC photo from the serial number that ends in 156.

Thank you for your help and time! 

-Joe R

Mycoin.jpg

On-NGC-152.jpg

On-NGC-156.jpg

• Administrator

Hello @Joero24

Thank you for contacting us, and I am sorry for this error. An uploading issue can cause images to become offset. This can be particularly difficult to catch when the offset reverse is the same coin type. 

We can report this issue to our Imaging Department so that they can correct the offset photos. Please provide the coin's certification number, and we will review and correct this.  

Thank you!

On 4/13/2023 at 10:38 AM, NickiO CS said:

Hello @Joero24

Thank you for contacting us, and I am sorry for this error. An uploading issue can cause images to become offset. This can be particularly difficult to catch when the offset reverse is the same coin type. 

We can report this issue to our Imaging Department so that they can correct the offset photos. Please provide the coin's certification number, and we will review and correct this.  

Thank you!

Thank you for your help! This is the coin's certification number that I have for my coin 6776719-152, and the coin certification number I randomly looked at and found looks just like my coin is 6776719-156. I bought this coin from a coin dealer so I'm pretty sure this was done in a bulk order. I'm guessing the photos got mixed up. Thank you again for your help!

• Administrator

Hello @Joero24, thank you for providing that information. I have forward your inquiry on to my imaging department so they are able to fix the photo offset on this invoice. These are updated usually fairly quick, so you should see the photo fixed in the next business day or two.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

On 4/16/2023 at 9:10 AM, KaileeS CS said:

Hello @Joero24, thank you for providing that information. I have forward your inquiry on to my imaging department so they are able to fix the photo offset on this invoice. These are updated usually fairly quick, so you should see the photo fixed in the next business day or two.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

I just checked to see if this was updated, and it still has the wrong image. Is there anything else you need from me to have this updated? Thanks!