• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 D Aluminum? Lincoln penny

8 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum, this is the section of the forum for selling coins not discussions, those types of posts belong in the US or newbie sections.   Do you have an accurate scale that reads to two decimal places to weigh this coin?   Have you done a specific gravity test to determine what metal this is?   Without any information from you what I see is a normal cent that is stained/discolored.   It was not uncommon in the past for cents to be used in high school chemistry classes as experiments and end up with a silver coloration.

The chances that this is an aluminum planchet, well let's say you have a better chance of winning the lottery while wrestling allegators in the Saria Desert.

Edited by Coinbuf

Hi, welcome, I'm new aboard too! I've also done a specific gravity test to determine the metal of this coin. Based on the info I've gathered, it looks like a regular cent that's just stained or discolored. But it was hard for me to believe that cents were used in high school chemistry classes, and they could end up looking silver, amazing. So yeah, I agree the chances of it being an aluminum planchet - pretty-pretty slim. Moreover, when doing in school much homework, I decided to buy research paper from experts and that was a right decision. On https://essays.studymoose.com/buy-research-paper I found answers to many of my science questions. So school classes are effective, but a little online help from writing professionals is always welcome.

Edited by jeyzijean

If it was aluminum, you could tell by feeling the weight. An aluminum  cent weighs about .9 g, a copper would be 3.11g.  
Also there have been many high school experimental coins posted on here. It was quit common in the 50’s to coat them with mercury or nickel.

Edited by Greenstang

OK first I'd like to apologize for posting this in the wrong place and for that I'm sorry. And secondly I appreciate your time and the more knowledgeable opinions such as those that have written on the post. I can see that such things possibly may have been done in which you are saying and I would have to agree with that. But I have 1 other coin I'd like to get more knowledge about and see what you think if you possibly have a few minutes to spare. And again I am just a new collector looking for explanations on what exactly I am looking at on my coin.  

CM230413-102656001.jpg

CM230413-102731002.jpg

Screenshot_20230411-201514.png

I and I'm sure others who participate on these forums would be happy to help you with your inquiry about this latest coin, but I request that you post it as a separate topic under the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum.  Additionally, please crop and properly orient your photos. You may benefit from the following topic:

On 4/17/2023 at 2:07 PM, Wizard81 said:

OK first I'd like to apologize for posting this in the wrong place and for that I'm sorry. And secondly I appreciate your time and the more knowledgeable opinions such as those that have written on the post. I can see that such things possibly may have been done in which you are saying and I would have to agree with that. But I have 1 other coin I'd like to get more knowledge about and see what you think if you possibly have a few minutes to spare. And again I am just a new collector looking for explanations on what exactly I am looking at on my coin.  

Above in the replies about the first coin you posted @Greenstang correctly told you that a true aluminum planchet would weigh far less than a normal cent planchet.   Did you use that information which was given to you and weigh this coin?   If so what does it weigh?   What I see in your photo is an environmentally damaged 1991-D (maybe cannot be completely sure of the date due to all the damage) cent.   The coin does not show any signs of aluminum corrosion, just a discolored normal copper coated zinc core coin, it is easy to determine that because the coin shows signs of the common plating bubbles that plague the copper coated cents minted after 1982.

If you feel you have something else then it is on you to prove your claim, you can start by weighing the coin on a scale that reads at least two decimal places.   Secondly, you can perform a specific gravity test to determine the metal, the instructions on how to perform such a test are readily available on the internet.

1) You do NOT have an aluminum coin.

2) The probability is 99.9999% it is zinc and has been stripped of its copper plating.

3) If it WERE aluminum, which it is not, check with the Airstream travel trailer people. They tend to take care of aluminum well.