• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 Obverse Shield Cent - I opened a fresh roll - I noticed some type of damage below the date mostly on Lincoln's front shirt on the bottom of the coin - Any idea what this is??

13 posts in this topic

So I opened a fresh original bank wrapped roll of a new 2023 philadelphia shield cents.   There is damage of some type below the date on on the bottom of Lincoln's image, and extends almost to the end of the coin.  There reverse of the coin looks like any other reverse shield cent.

Here are some images - Any idea this could be?

2023.jpeg

2023_1.jpeg

Wow a 2023 ,I have not seen any of the small coins yet only quarters. Not sure what the mark is it looks like a scratch ?

Is the area in question incuse, or is it just a stain similar to a milk spot on a silver coin? I do know from the cents in this series that even fresh cents can have some staining issues with the copper plating. 

On 4/9/2023 at 6:10 PM, ChezITalia said:

Thanks, JPM - most likely it's a scratch - but I am not ruling out a strike through.  

For a valid strike-through you have to be able to identify what it was that ended up on the dies.  I cant imagine anything on the dies from the mint that would produce that appearance, not even cloth which was my first thought.

Instead of a strike-through, it really appears like something scraped up against the lower part of the coin.  So it likely is just post mint damage.

On 4/11/2023 at 10:07 AM, JT2 said:

i'm with powermad 5000  looks like a stain to me

Maybe @ChezITalia can check out the coin to determine if the marks are just on the surface like a stain, or if they are incuse marks (or cut into the coin) indicative of scratches.

Edited by EagleRJO

Hmm...appears to be incuse. I've seen some of these cents with area "scratches" on Abe's head or torso, but they are not usually deep. I am thinking those are made by a rolling machine. Due to the area's irregular shape, I would say it could not be from a grinding wheel as an attempt to simulate a mint error. It is possible you have a lamination error. The only problem is the grading fees to find out 100 percent for sure would be cost prohibitive as even on an eBay auction would probably not realize the equivalent value of grading.

Cool find! I would keep that one in a flip for sure!

On 4/13/2023 at 7:03 PM, powermad5000 said:

Hmm...appears to be incuse. I've seen some of these cents with area "scratches" on Abe's head or torso, but they are not usually deep. I am thinking those are made by a rolling machine. Due to the area's irregular shape, I would say it could not be from a grinding wheel as an attempt to simulate a mint error. It is possible you have a lamination error. The only problem is the grading fees to find out 100 percent for sure would be cost prohibitive as even on an eBay auction would probably not realize the equivalent value of grading.

Cool find! I would keep that one in a flip for sure!

It could be struck through cloth it looks like the marks a uniform but still a very small value to have graded. Maybe at ANACS it would not cost as much but still more than I would want to pay ... LoL