• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASE Newbie Question
1 1

101 posts in this topic

On 7/18/2023 at 9:38 AM, BearlyHereBear said:

Just a thought on proof sets:  Clad proof sets are not as likely to appreciate in value over time.  Most are readily available on Ebay for very modest prices.  Silver proof set hold and gain value better

Isn't it just a question of too much supply ? 

When they were released in the late-1960's through 1980's, clad and other Mint/Proof sets were sold to the Baby Boom generation which saw earlier purchases of coins catch a demographic and investment and precious metals wave from 1970-1980 that made some investors (including some here) very rich.

I think lots of people thought buying stuff with 7-figure mintages would replicate that earlier success of coin collectors from 1933-1970 in 10 or 20 or 40 years.

Nope !! :o

On 7/18/2023 at 6:36 PM, Tony Follis said:

My guess as to why the burnished ASE's aren't the most expensive version is because they are always the last version to enter the marketplace each year. However,if the burnished ASE program were to end that potentially could cause the demand for burnished ASE's to increase which in turn will cause their value to increase drastically especially those that have been graded NGC MS70.

Mine will never be graded ANYTHING. I keep mine strictly in OGP. 

On 7/18/2023 at 8:39 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Isn't it just a question of too much supply ? 

When they were released in the late-1960's through 1980's, clad and other Mint/Proof sets were sold to the Baby Boom generation which saw earlier purchases of coins catch a demographic and investment and precious metals wave from 1970-1980 that made some investors (including some here) very rich.

I think lots of people thought buying stuff with 7-figure mintages would replicate that earlier success of coin collectors from 1933-1970 in 10 or 20 or 40 years.

Nope !! :o

Whenever people start buying “one to keep, one to sell”, they will never appreciate. RECENT years (VERY recent) have kept their values quite well, as have the occasional year before the most recent years.

On 7/18/2023 at 9:42 PM, Tony Follis said:

I buy mine pre graded by NGC.

“To each his own”, I suppose. I would never collect graded bullion coins.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/19/2023 at 6:54 PM, EagleRJO said:

Are you talking about Proof coins?  Even then, I buy them in OGP and leave them that way.

No as I only collect the burnished ASE's. In most cases I can buy pre graded NGC MS70 burnished ASE's for an average of around $65.00 each. It would cost way too much to do a complete set of the bullion and proof versions in NGC MS70 grade.

On 7/19/2023 at 6:05 PM, Tony Follis said:

No as I only collect the burnished ASE's. In most cases I can buy pre graded NGC MS70 burnished ASE's for an average of around $65.00 each. It would cost way too much to do a complete set of the bullion and proof versions in NGC MS70 grade.

What has your 2023 cost you in MS 70? Way more than $65.

On 7/19/2023 at 7:33 PM, VKurtB said:

What has your 2023 cost you in MS 70? Way more than $65.

I haven't bought that one yet. Currently I'm seven coins short of completing the set. The odds are I'll be able to buy the 2023 pre graded NGC MS70 for around $170.00 - $190.00 at most. I remember in 2021 when type 2 came out and people were paying $250.00 - $450.00 for it without any market data to support spending that much money. Needless to say those buyers got hosed on the deal.

On 7/18/2023 at 10:17 PM, VKurtB said:

Mine will never be graded ANYTHING. I keep mine strictly in OGP. 

I do the same now. When I first started I didnt know much about the hobby and bought some already graded. Now Id rather have all my bullion coins in the OGP. I really dont see the point in having them graded for my purpose with them.  

On 7/19/2023 at 7:05 PM, Tony Follis said:

I only collect the burnished ASE's

Even though I prefer coins in OGP, I get that some go for the graded Burnished (Uncirculated) or Proof ASEs.  But I just shake my head when people talk about collecting graded bullion coins.

I do collect the bullion ASEs starting with 1986 since they don't cost that much, and have almost all of them with not one graded.  All raw BU grade coins for a little above spot, that are either in protective packaging from the dealer or that I do myself just for storage.

I was also working on a complete set of Proof ASEs in OPG starting with 1986, but decided to cancel my subscription after this year due to quality issues the mint doesn't seem interested in correcting.  So what's the point of filling in the gaps for Proof ASEs now?

On 7/19/2023 at 10:03 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I do the same now. When I first started I didnt know much about the hobby and bought some already graded. Now Id rather have all my bullion coins in the OGP. I really dont see the point in having them graded for my purpose with them.  

Sometimes...SOMETIMES....I'll get 2 of them IF I like the coin or commemorative.  One for MS or PF 70/69...the other in OGP.

On 7/19/2023 at 10:50 PM, EagleRJO said:

Even though I prefer coins in OGP, I get that some go for the graded Burnished (Uncirculated) or Proof ASEs.  But I just shake my head when people talk about collecting graded bullion coins.

I do collect the bullion ASEs starting with 1986 since they don't cost that much, and have almost all of them with not one graded.  All raw BU grade coins for a little above spot, that are either in protective packaging from the dealer or that I do myself just for storage.

I was also working on a complete set of Proof ASEs in OPG starting with 1986, but decided to cancel my subscription after this year due to quality issues the mint doesn't seem interested in correcting.  So what's the point of filling in the gaps for Proof ASEs now?

Personally I could never get into the bullion and proof versions of ASE's for some reason. To be completely honest I buy my coins pre graded to avoid a situation that the person who posted about buying a counterfeit coin from MA-shop and for insurance purposes. If I were considering buying a raw coin online I'd ask for opinions from the experienced collectors such as yourself. When I buy gold and silver coins I buy coins that I like the design of and eventually I'll be buying a very nice graded coin display case since I think the graded coin cases offered by NGC and PCGS look cheap.

Edited by Tony Follis

On 7/19/2023 at 11:07 PM, Tony Follis said:

Personally I could never get into the bullion and proof versions of ASE's for some reason.

For me collecting the bullion ASEs is like my circulated quarters albums or binders of modern Presidential and Innovation $1 coins.  Not that it has numismatic value like my Morgan collection, older half dollars or gold coins, but just because I enjoy collecting them.

On 7/19/2023 at 11:17 PM, EagleRJO said:

For me collecting the bullion ASEs is like my circulated quarters albums or binders of modern Presidential and Innovation $1 coins.  Not that it has numismatic value like my Morgan collection, older half dollars or gold coins, but just because I enjoy collecting them.

My dad also collects Morgan dollars - none of which are graded so eventually I'll have to get them graded.

On 7/19/2023 at 11:22 PM, Tony Follis said:

My dad also collects Morgan dollars - none of which are graded so eventually I'll have to get them graded.

Not necessarily, unless they are more valuable ones.  I have almost a complete 105 coin circulated Morgan collection, and only a handful of the rarer or more valuable ones are graded.  Most are just raw BU grade, with some raw XF or AU grade, as many are still commonly available for not that much money.

On 7/19/2023 at 11:28 PM, EagleRJO said:

Not necessarily, unless they are more valuable ones.  I have almost a complete 105 coin circulated Morgan collection, and only a handful of the rarer or more valuable ones are graded.  Most are just raw BU grade, with some raw XF or AU grade, as many are still commonly available for not that much money.

I only saw his collection once (six years ago) but I think he had either a full set or near a full set. I won't even venture a grade guestimate as I'm a newbie to the hobby.

On 7/19/2023 at 11:07 PM, Tony Follis said:

I buy my coins pre graded to avoid a situation that the person who posted about buying a counterfeit coin from MA-shop and for insurance purposes.

If you purchase coins directly from the mint, they can't be counterfeit, and you can learn by studying them what genuine pieces look like.  (Grading service holders have been counterfeited, along with the "coins" in them.)  Your invoices from the mint should be adequate for insurance purposes.

I started collecting long before grading services existed and am continually befuddled by the contemporary practice of taking already overpriced modern collectors' issues out of their protective mint capsules and paying the substantial cost of having them placed in grading service holders with grades of either "69" or "70", which are usually indistinguishable from each other. It will never make any sense to me.

On 7/19/2023 at 11:40 PM, Sandon said:

If you purchase coins directly from the mint, they can't be counterfeit

True, but if you are a newer collector working on a complete set of Burnished or Proof ASEs that's not an option.  Getting graded coins provides reasonable protection particularly for less experienced collectors, as I understand that counterfeit slabs for less expensive coins like ASEs are few and far between.

What I don't get is why the mint uses the term "Uncirculated" for the Burnished coins as used by the rest of the collecting world and the Red Book.  Plenty of other coins are also "uncirculated" without being burnished.

[Even the TPG's use the term "Burnished"]

Edited by EagleRJO

On 7/20/2023 at 12:00 AM, EagleRJO said:

True, but if you are a newer collector working on a complete set of Burnished or Proof ASEs that's not an option.

What I don't get is why the mint uses the term "Uncirculated" for the Burnished coins as used by the rest of the collecting world and the Red Book.

Yeah I don't understand why they call them "Uncirculated" instead of calling them burnished. Oh well since there's nothing we can do about that.

On 7/19/2023 at 10:22 PM, Tony Follis said:

Why?

On 7/20/2023 at 3:41 PM, Tony Follis said:

Being that I'm a newbie to the hobby don't you think it's a wise idea to have any coins certified and a coin collection insured?

No, not at all. Most of my collecting career, certification DID NOT EXIST. For the first dozen or so years of American Eagles, certification of THEM didn’t exist. ANA membership gives you access to special numismatic insurance from a carrier (Hugh Wood) that DOES NOT REQUIRE CERTIFICATION, other than for exceptionally valuable pieces (I believe $10K per coin). So…, what was your point again?

"The problem ain't what people don't know, it's what they do know that just ain't so."

On 7/20/2023 at 5:07 PM, VKurtB said:

No, not at all. Most of my collecting career, certification DID NOT EXIST. For the first dozen or so years of American Eagles, certification of THEM didn’t exist. ANA membership gives you access to special numismatic insurance from a carrier (Hugh Wood) that DOES NOT REQUIRE CERTIFICATION, other than for exceptionally valuable pieces (I believe $10K per coin). So…, what was your point again?

I'm not an ANA member and I most likely won't even be. I just tip toe in and out of the hobby as I have other investments.

On 7/20/2023 at 4:41 PM, Tony Follis said:

I'm not an ANA member and I most likely won't even be. I just tip toe in and out of the hobby as I have other investments.

Okay, I take no responsibility for your bad decision making. Coins ARE NOT INVESTMENTS!!!!!!!! Remember, you read that here.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/20/2023 at 5:56 PM, VKurtB said:

Okay, I take no responsibility for your bad decision making. Coins ARE NOT INVESTMENTS!!!!!!!! Remember, you read that here.

I never said that coins are an investment. However, in my case the only way I can get them insured is to have them certified / graded by a TPG as I'm not an ANA member. As we all know coins made from gold and silver are most likely to be counterfeited especially rare and or key dates. Don't twist my words.

On 7/20/2023 at 5:56 PM, VKurtB said:

True, but he does have $$$ tied up in them, as do we all. (thumbsu

What kind of insurance does Hugh Wood (a person or the company ?) provide that basic homeowners -- even a Masterpiece policy from Chubb -- doesn't ?

On 7/20/2023 at 5:04 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

True, but he does have $$$ tied up in them, as do we all. (thumbsu

What kind of insurance does Hugh Wood (a person or the company ?) provide that basic homeowners -- even a Masterpiece policy from Chubb -- doesn't ?

Hugh Wood (a company) [Damn it, GOLDFinger, GO JOIN THE ANA!!!] offers better rates, BY FAAAAAAR, less red tape, and their coverage is AIMED AT NUMISMATISTS. If you insure through a general homeowner policy, you are the worst kind of fool. They will NEVER pay off if you have a loss. Pretty much EVERY dealer uses Hugh Wood.

https://hwinternational.com/us/

Keeping using this site as your coin info source is just embarrassing.

Edited by VKurtB