• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Altered surface coin didn't holder. One coin didn't get photographed.

3 posts in this topic

I recently had a submission there.  I sent an old half dollar with some scratches on it.  I knew it would get VG Details but I sent it anyway just because I wanted it in a slab for my type set.    Much to my surprise, it got "Altered surface" an NGC label as if it had been put in a slab with variety and sent back in a plastic flip.  Had I known this would happen I would not have sent this.  The only refund I got was for the scratch resistant slab fee.

I sent 13 coins down and they spent the full 20 business days down there.   They were all photographed except for a capped bust quarter that got an AU-53.   I dont use the photo for the registry but it's nice for someone else to verify that it is the actual coin by photo on the site if need be.   

• Administrator

Hello @Vess1, thank you for contacting NGC. At this time, NGC does not encapsulate coins that have been deemed to have an altered surface. Additionally, coins with an altered surface will be returned raw and the full grading fee will apply. You may kindly confirm this information on our article here: Coins That Are Not Encapsulated | NGC.

As for your coin that does not have a photo on our NGC Verification, do you mind kindly providing us the certificate number on this so we can look into it for you?

Thank you!