• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2009 ms 69 silver eagle
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I recently registered my silver eagle it's a 2009 and it's been graded ms69 but looking closer at it there's 3 almost chip looking features below the left hand ...I haven't seen it before...is it an error and why wasn't it caught when graded ?

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

We really can't give you any informed opinion without seeing clear, cropped photos of each side of the coin in question.  In all likelihood, what you see are contact marks or other small flaws.  They would be the reason why the coin was graded "69" instead of "70".

It is preferable to post inquiries of this sort about coins, their grading, mint errors, etc. on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum or the "U.S., World, and Ancient Coins" forum. The NGC Registry forum is for questions about the registry.

This is, indeed, a contact mark.  These bullion coins are heavy and are pure silver, which is very soft and easily damaged. One could argue that it should have been graded MS 68 instead of MS 69, but in any case it's still a "Superb Gem", which hardly exist for coins made for circulation such as Morgan and Peace dollars.  Remember that even coins graded "70" are supposed to have no observable flaws only when viewed under low magnification (3x-5x). 

In my opinion and that of most other experienced collectors on these forums, it makes little sense to have these modern, high mintage coins third-party graded. If you want to collect them, you might be better off selecting them yourself uncertified on a sight-seen basis in accordance with your own taste.

I also have hand picked all my ASE,s from US Mint tubes in coin shops and it is very hard to find a raw coin without some small mark. I would not send any in for grading myself, they are nice but not worth the cost. 

On 4/9/2023 at 9:57 AM, Sandon said:

This is, indeed, a contact mark.  These bullion coins are heavy and are pure silver, which is very soft and easily damaged. One could argue that it should have been graded MS 68 instead of MS 69, but in any case it's still a "Superb Gem", which hardly exist for coins made for circulation such as Morgan and Peace dollars.  Remember that even coins graded "70" are supposed to have no observable flaws only when viewed under low magnification (3x-5x). 

In my opinion and that of most other experienced collectors on these forums, it makes little sense to have these modern, high mintage coins third-party graded. If you want to collect them, you might be better off selecting them yourself uncertified on a sight-seen basis in accordance with your own taste.

Agreed, except for the proofs and reverse proofs. They look spectacular in a TGP holder. Just my $0.02. 

I am disinclined to comment as some very learned members have weighed in.

This may not matter to the rest of the membership but I would be interested to know if this "damage" was inflicted at the Mint after being released down the sluice chute some 14 years ago and, if not, whether we are talking about PMD that occurred in the interval before formal certification.

I believe all would agree that no one employed by the mint would be expected to spot a flaw-in-motion and even if they did, it would be a minor matter precluding extraction from the assembly line.  These one-ounce silver bullion pieces were not produced for circulation. If a piece survives birth intact and to exacting specifications, the job is done. As far as Mint officials are concerned, their primary mission was accomplished; grading and collecting are secondary hobbies.

On 4/9/2023 at 10:57 AM, Sandon said:

This is, indeed, a contact mark.  These bullion coins are heavy and are pure silver, which is very soft and easily damaged.

Silver and gold (pure or as used in coins) are both "soft" compared to nickel, copper, etc.  Has anybody ever quantified it with an experiement ?

As a matter of fact, yes, jewelers.

Given a choice, would you prefer a 24K ring (100% gold) an 18K (75% gold) or a 14K (58.3$ gold) ring?

Larger diamonds make a statement as to the fervor one has for his wife but insisting on purchasing a 24K ring, particularly after one has been advised  against it, is impractical.  If an 18K ring is worn occasionally, it'll do.  The 14K ring, anecdotally, is the preferred composition for everyday wear.

On 4/28/2023 at 10:28 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I am disinclined to comment as some very learned members have weighed in.

This may not matter to the rest of the membership but I would be interested to know if this "damage" was inflicted at the Mint after being released down the sluice chute some 14 years ago and, if not, whether we are talking about PMD that occurred in the interval before formal certification.

I believe all would agree that no one employed by the mint would be expected to spot a flaw-in-motion and even if they did, it would be a minor matter precluding extraction from the assembly line.  These one-ounce silver bullion pieces were not produced for circulation. If a piece survives birth intact and to exacting specifications, the job is done. As far as Mint officials are concerned, their primary mission was accomplished; grading and collecting are secondary hobbies.

I absolutely agree that " bag marks" on a more recent coin honestly shouldn't happen there are examples but I apologize the marker circle actually covers another line right at the outer edge and I asked this question because so many collectors I know ... non expert but still some years of experience tell me to have it looked at by another expert because for NGC they don't want to do anything but grab a coin and check it but nothing against them it's just I thought bag marks were a thing of the past with coins now I see circulated coins in near pristine condition and these are supposed to be handled slightly better....but thanks