• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021-P Crossing the Delaware 25c - What do you think this is?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

During my latest coin roll hunt I came across a 2021-P Washington Crossing the Delaware quarter that had an interesting characteristic on the reverse. In front of Washington's face there appears to be a die break or some other anamoly that I can't find information on. What do you think this is? Have you seen it before? Any directions on where to find more information would be appreciated.

2021-P Crossing the Delaware 25C - Clash 2 - 20230401.JPG

2021-P Crossing the Delaware 25C - Clash - 20230401.JPG

That is a Die clash from the obverse die. At some point there was a planchet missing the dies hit and left a impression then it transferred to the coin .

On 4/6/2023 at 11:24 AM, Drick6sy19 said:

I was thinking it might have been a die clash but it was so small and localized, it had me doubting. Thanks for your insight!

It is one of the common clashes. I may seen have a whole roll or more of them in my roll hunting. 

Not all die clashes are spectacular as in transferring the complete image to the other side of the coin. Typically, most die clashes are partial only and some very minor as in the case with your coin. Full, complete, highly pronounced die clashes are sought after by error collectors and get premium dollars at the point of sale.

As a side note, I would not submit this coin to a TPG, as it will be considered as "too minor", and you will be at a loss on all those grading fees.

Ive got one identical to that one that I found in my change. Cool to see another found struck from the same die. Even though its a minor clash I still think its neat. I put mine in a cardboard coin flip and put it up in my saved coins. 

Welcome back Condor101 it is always nice to hear you thoughts on a post.

On 4/20/2023 at 8:55 AM, Conder101 said:

Might not even be from the same die.  Take two die pairs and have each of them clash, the alignment of the die features will be exactly or almost exactly the same on both die pairs, so the die clash marks will most likely be very nearly the same.  Or at least in the same place.  Difference in the die clashs could result from differences in the hardness of the dies when they clashed, difference in the force when the dies clashed, or how much wear the different dies have received since they clashed (wear from use or polishing)