• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious what you guys think this silver dollar would grade.?

13 posts in this topic

This coin was originally my grandparents. They were not coin collectors in the slightest, but they traveled all over the world, and picked up anything they liked, which clearly included this nice 1880 s silver dollar in not such bad shape. My grandmother died in her 70's about 11 years ago, but I inherited all of their coins after my grandfather died earlier this year (October). This is not meant as a sob post, just giving some background on how this coin came about. Curious to hear your thoughts on how this this would grade, which would obviously determine it's price! Thank you all so much!

As usual, the pictures don't quite do it justice, but it's only in slighter better shape than the pictures show, it's certainly not ms 67 or anything.

silverdollarobverse.png

silverdollarreverse.png

Thanks for the information Coinbuf, I appreciate it! Here is a slightly better picture of the reverse that I just took. Just curious what you think the grade would be, if anything? I'm not planning on sending it in, just curious. 

silverdollarreversebetter.png

On 4/3/2023 at 6:14 PM, Pocket Changer said:

Thanks for the information Coinbuf, I appreciate it! Here is a slightly better picture of the reverse that I just took. Just curious what you think the grade would be, if anything? I'm not planning on sending it in, just curious. 

As I said above it grades in the about good range (AG), might squeak into a good-04 grade on a good day, however, those scratches on the obv on the face of Liberty might also cause a TPG to give it a details grade.   Again the only real value here is the sentimental value that you have to the coin, if you sold this to a coin dealer he would toss it into his cull pile to be sent off and be melted down or sold as scrap silver.   Here is a photo from Photograde of both an AG3 and a G04 example, the lack of any rim or denticle detail is what puts your coin into the AG level.

image.png.94a8973258f5e4a9690a455027ed4982.png

I agree that the coin would grade About Good and also has scratches and surface damage. It's actually much easier to find an 1880-S Morgan dollar in most uncirculated grades than a well-worn one like this, as many of these were retained in the Treasury as backing for silver certificates and only released in the early 1960s.  NGC alone has numerically graded over 170,000 1880-S dollars, of which nearly 158,000 were graded between MS 63 and MS 66.  You might want to obtain an uncirculated example for comparison.

Thanks all for your replies! The NGC website is sure misleading when it states "According to the NGC Price Guide, as of April 2023, a Morgan Dollar from 1880 in circulated condition is worth between $34.50 and $63. However, on the open market 1880 S Silver Dollars in pristine, uncirculated condition sell for as much as $29000." That sounds like a lot of money compared to what you said, I only asked because it looks like the lowest it could be worth graded was 34.50, and I didn't think my coin was in the lowest grading tier, but now I know it is!

On 4/3/2023 at 9:39 PM, Sandon said:

I agree that the coin would grade About Good and also has scratches and surface damage. It's actually much easier to find an 1880-S Morgan dollar in most uncirculated grades than a well-worn one like this, as many of these were retained in the Treasury as backing for silver certificates and only released in the early 1960s.  NGC alone has numerically graded over 170,000 1880-S dollars, of which nearly 158,000 were graded between MS 63 and MS 66.  You might want to obtain an uncirculated example for comparison.

Then according to your logic, shouldn't circulated ones with intact details be worth more, as they're rarer? Does it go by rarity, or by how nice the coin looks, which one?

On 4/3/2023 at 11:02 PM, Pocket Changer said:

Does it go by rarity, or by how nice the coin looks, which one?

Both, plus demand as Coinbuf explained very well.  And how nice a coin looks factors into grade.  So value is a function of rarity, grade, and demand.

The coin's primary saving grace is its smooth undramatic surface unencumbered by pedestrian post-mint damage.  Great thread! (thumbsu