• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Cud I Found.
1 1

12 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2023 at 12:00 PM, Errorists said:

Cool I made a 50 cent profit.

That's one way of looking at it.  The other is there was a gentleman who was prepared to make you a very attractive offer for it. Ah, such is life.

On 4/3/2023 at 1:45 PM, Henri Charriere said:

That's one way of looking at it.  The other is there was a gentleman who was prepared to make you a very attractive offer for it. Ah, such is life.

Cool. It's value is hard to know anyway. Here's another. 

20230215_131011.jpg

20230215_130940.jpg

Edited by Errorists

The 1833 Bust dime could be worth something to a collector of late die states of that series or of earlier U.S. coins generally.  You would need to research the die variety ("JR" number) of the coin--VarietyPlus can be a starting point--whether this late die state has been seen before, and any auction records for it. The latest known die state, known as the "terminal" die state if it appears that the die was about to shatter, is particularly sought after.  The low grade and cleaning would limit the value and could make attribution difficult as well.

On 4/8/2023 at 1:32 PM, Sandon said:

The 1833 Bust dime could be worth something to a collector of late die states of that series or of earlier U.S. coins generally.  You would need to research the die variety ("JR" number) of the coin--VarietyPlus can be a starting point--whether this late die state has been seen before, and any auction records for it. The latest known die state, known as the "terminal" die state if it appears that the die was about to shatter, is particularly sought after.  The low grade and cleaning would limit the value and could make attribution difficult as well.

Any links to find this  particular variety? Thanks.

See Early Dimes (1796-1837) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). I think your coin is likely an 1833 JR-4. Click on this variety. The second reverse photo appears to have an earlier stage of this or a similar cud.  You will have to see if the positions of the stars, numbers and letters on your coin are consistent with the JR-4 variety or one of the others, as I can't do this well from separate screens.  You can also find photos and descriptions of these varieties on PCGS Coinfacts and can search the auction archives on NGC, PCGS and the major numismatic auction companies for sales of coins of the applicable variety that have this cud. 

On 4/8/2023 at 4:22 PM, Sandon said:

See Early Dimes (1796-1837) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). I think your coin is likely an 1833 JR-4. Click on this variety. The second reverse photo appears to have an earlier stage of this or a similar cud.  You will have to see if the positions of the stars, numbers and letters on your coin are consistent with the JR-4 variety or one of the others, as I can't do this well from separate screens.  You can also find photos and descriptions of these varieties on PCGS Coinfacts and can search the auction archives on NGC, PCGS and the major numismatic auction companies for sales of coins of the applicable variety that have this cud. 

Thanks found a site that has at least a half dozen or so JR-4 cuds with different subtypes. Trying to match one up now. Price range who knows?