• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 D Penny Double mint mark

11 posts in this topic

I am new to coin collecting, I found this in a Wheat penny roll. I was wondering if I found a rare error?  If so what would it be worth?

20230331_215616.jpg

20230401_201846.jpg

20230401_201700.jpg

Edited by WWB
Better Pictures

Welcome to the forum, it could be an unknown RPM, or it could be just some strike doubling.   Better (cropped) full obv photos would be helpful.

Welcome to the forum

It would be a RPM if anything, not a Doubled Die. Also it would be an Variety, not an Error, big difference.

I don't think it is a RPM, looks more like Machine Doubling.

A better pic, close up,  of the obv would be helpful. Very unlikely that it is an undiscovered RPM, but I'm not seeing any MD anywhere else in the close up. hm 

Most likely MD but... (shrug)

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 4/1/2023 at 9:51 PM, WWB said:

Would it be worth having it certified?

Welcome to the NGC chat board.   

Even if the coin has a repunched mint mark, it is worth at most only a few dollars, if not, probably less than a dollar. It has a number of nicks and scratches from contact with other coins, so it would likely grade no better than MS 64 RD, a common grade. It would cost $79 to have this coin graded by NGC as a single coin order (total of $23 minimum grading fee, $18 variety attribution fee that would be retained whether or not the coin is found to be an attributable variety, $10 processing fee, $28 return shipping and insurance fee), not including the cost of shipping it to NGC. So, no, it wouldn't be worth having it certified.

In my opinion, as a new collector who is not yet even familiar with such basic numismatic terminology as "obverse" and "reverse", you have no business sending coins to grading services. The cost of doing so only justifies it for a coin that you are able to make an informed judgment is worth at least several hundred dollars, arguably $500 or more. You develop this judgment by learning how to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself. Until you have become reasonably proficient in basic authentication, grading, and recognizing coins that are impaired by "cleaning", damage, or other issues, you should confine your purchases to lower value items that can be enjoyed in coin albums or other proper holders, government issued sets in their original packaging, and coins that are already in the holders of reputable grading services.  

Here are two topics on this forum that identify and acquire resources (print and online) that will further your education:

You should also attend coin shows and other venues where you may carefully examine coins of the types that interest you and speak with knowledgeable collectors and dealers. You should also consider joining a coin club, where you can also obtain knowledge from the more experienced members. You may find, as I have, that these activities will further your enjoyment of coin collecting.