• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error coin
1 1

12 posts in this topic

1st off I thank all that answered my last question. I must say that I learned something new.   Is this 1918 wheat penny an error if so how would I  refer to it as?

20220724_092747-0~4.jpg

20220724_092747-0~3.jpg

Based on your photos, which would be better if they weren't on an angle and showed both sides of the coin, your 1918 Lincoln cent has simply been damaged by being scraped and dented by hard objects. It also appears to have areas that are coated with glue or other foreign matter. It is a "cull" that only a young collector might want for a few cents. 

You might want to review the following topic and some of the linked sites in it to learn how to distinguish mint errors from damaged coins:

Sorry but just another damaged coin.

Suggest learning on how coins are minted ( many sites available) and read up on what a true error is.  
A good site for this is error-ref.com. 
This will save you time in knowing what to look for.

On 3/26/2023 at 9:40 AM, Greenstang said:

Suggest learning on how coins are minted ( many sites available) and read up on what a true error is.  
A good site for this is error-ref.com. 

The site www.error-ref.com has good info on coin errors, and the US mint has some excellent info and videos on the coin making progress ...

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/production-process

Both of these are included in the topic linked by Sandon above.  Btw, why did you think this coin had errors?

US Mint Coin Production Diagram.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 3/26/2023 at 6:37 AM, Sandon said:

Based on your photos, which would be better if they weren't on an angle and showed both sides of the coin, your 1918 Lincoln cent has simply been damaged by being scraped and dented by hard objects. It also appears to have areas that are coated with glue or other foreign matter. It is a "cull" that only a young collector might want for a few cents. 

You might want to review the following topic and some of the linked sites in it to learn how to distinguish mint errors from damaged coins:

Thank you I'll do that. Will I be able to get information on coins missing clad layers?

On 3/26/2023 at 7:51 AM, EagleRJO said:

The site www.error-ref.com has good info on coin errors, and the US mint has some excellent info and videos on the coin making progress ...

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/production-process

Both of these are included in the topic linked by Sandon above.  Btw, why did you think this coin had errors?

US Mint Coin Production Diagram.jpg

Thank you

On 3/26/2023 at 5:13 PM, Sergs said:

Will I be able to get information on coins missing clad layers?

The error-ref.com site referred to in the topic I previously referenced has a good overview of most, if not all, types of mint errors. For missing clad layers, see the following pages:

Missing Full Clad Before Strike (error-ref.com)

Partial Clad Layer Before Strike (error-ref.com)

Missing Clad Layer Partial After Strike (error-ref.com)

Missing Both Clad Layers (error-ref.com)

Struck Clad Layer: Split Off After Strike (error-ref.com)

Does the coin have a cup to it. Without better pictures I will agree with the other posts and say it is very damaged.

Edited by J P M

I am still curious what error you thought the coin had.  Knowing this might help some less experienced collectors avoid thinking they had errors.