• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nickelpalooza

5 posts in this topic

Hello again,

I picked up a box the other day and it looks like i found someones horde dump.  This box included 6 undated Buffalo's, 3 41 large S 4 39's and many many more cool finds.  Now my question is WWJD (what would Jefferson do)?  As you can see in the pictures below I scored a ton of 64's 68 and 70's in what I can tell (according to the grading criteria) are in a rather high MS.  I've read that the 64 and 68's were very large mintage's but does their condition justify keeping them or should I roll them back up and send them back for the next person to find?  I would appreciate your thoughts.  

Thanks,

Joel

IMG_5617.JPG

IMG_5622.JPG

IMG_5624.JPG

IMG_5625.JPG

IMG_5626.JPG

IMG_5627.JPG

IMG_5628.JPG

None of the coins whose enlarged photos you show would be considered to be "in rather high MS". They would more likely be graded About Uncirculated (AU) and not be worth much over face value.  The 1968-S is impaired by a circular scratch at the center of the reverse.  

If you're young, you might want to keep some of the oldest and the best of this group of nickels for possible appreciation in future decades, but I've saved coins like this for about 50 years and can't show much for my efforts.

While in better condition than most other past circulated nickels, I do not see anything "high end", and the reverses are not showing any with full steps (either 5 or 6), and the 68 S reverse is showing PMD. Keeping in mind that there are some truly high end Jeffersons graded in holders that still sell for quite reasonable money, I would see if I could fill an album with these.

I agree with Sandon and powermad5000 I Would pick up a Whitman book put the best ones in it maybe put a couple others aside and roll the rest. 

@Wasaki your photos are way over lit and blown out with too much light, that makes it very difficult to see much of the surfaces of the coins.   That said I do not see anything in your finds that would be worth keeping much less sending in for grading.