• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Proof is this a accented hair
1 1

7 posts in this topic

It looks like the I in LIBERTY has a serif on the bottom left. The accent hair coin does not have one. Like Greenstang said the shot is to blurry to say for sure. 

Edited by J P M

No sir. It's not an Accented Hair. There is an important diagnostic. The "I" in LIBERTY is missing a serif on the AH.

Edited by VKurtB

Here are the photos and descriptions of the diagnostics of the "Accented Hair" variety from NGC VarietyPlus:

16801-1.jpg

16801-2-1550610669.jpg

"There is a wishbone-shaped group of extra hairs that are incused on the coin above Kennedy's ear. Also, the bottom left serif of letter I in LIBERTY is incomplete, letter G in the designer's initials is lacking a serif, and the rays are broken where they pass through the stars."

All 1964 Kennedy half dollars have some deeply engraved hair strands as shown in your photos, which leads to the frequent confusion about this variety. The "Accented Hair" variety has several additional such strands, as well as the other diagnostics.