• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950 5 cent Canadian Die Clash
1 1

8 posts in this topic

This is showing die clash behind gorgeous head. But on the reverse is that a extra claw on the back foot or a die clash also. Tried looking at other coin's to compare but not seeing anything like that. Thanks for any insight on this.

20230304_201532.jpg

20230304_201226.jpg

20230304_201659.jpg

Might be die scratches behind the head (that is possibly part of a separate die clash) and what looks like a die chip at the ear on the obverse, and what might be a die chip on the reverse.  What elements are you seeing which leads you to think it's a die clash and which coin?

It may just be a die variety and not a die clash, which might explain why you are not finding much.

https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php?coin=5-cents-1950&years=

Edited by EagleRJO

Here is an overlay showing your Die |Clash caused by the  beavers tail. I have seen this before so I recognized it.  

Also the extra foot I believe is caused by a Die Crack

1950 die cash.jpg

On 3/23/2023 at 8:17 AM, Greenstang said:

Here is an overlay showing your Die |Clash caused by the  beavers tail. I have seen this before so I recognized it.  

Also the extra foot I believe is caused by a Die Crack

@GreenstangI saw the attached die clash from the beaver which definitely looks like a match from the overlay you provided, but doesn't seem to match the op's coin.  Also, where do you find those overlays, as that is an excellent diagnostic tool.

5_cents_1950_1950_die_clash.jpg

The coin you show would be from a coin struck shortly after the clash.  I believe the OP's coin was struck after the die was polished and just shows remnants of the original clash. Guess the only way to tell for sure would be to do an overlay which I can' do.

Also I took that photo from my file. I have a file of a couple of hundred photos that I have created over the years for my own use. If there is another Canadian coin you would like to see, I may have a photo of it.

On 3/23/2023 at 12:00 PM, Greenstang said:

The coin you show would be from a coin struck shortly after the clash.  I believe the OP's coin was struck after the die was polished and just shows remnants of the original clash. Guess the only way to tell for sure would be to do an overlay which I can' do.

Also I took that photo from my file. I have a file of a couple of hundred photos that I have created over the years for my own use. If there is another Canadian coin you would like to see, I may have a photo of it.

You may very well be right that the op's coin is from a later die state after some polishing, even though the overlay you have is from a different year but which is still a good indicator.  And thanks for the offer concerning checking your files on die clashes with Canadian coins.

I am curious if others may know of sites they have used with die clash overlays similar to the following for US coins ,,,

https://coinauctionshelp.com/overlay_home.html#.ZBzGB3bMK5d

http://www.maddieclashes.com/denominational-overlays/

Thank you guys, still hunting for interesting stuff. It's been slow lately, the banks aren't wanting to let anyone buy change anymore unless you have a business. Or making you pay extra 5 dollars on top of buying change. Something to do with they get charged for ordering more coins. Idk weird tho