• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error Quarter or not? Would it be worth grading?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone:  I love collecting error coins  and I came across this Quarter that I  have no ideal where to put it since it has no date. I would appreciate anyone's  opinion on it or is it even legal ?

20220929_164933~2.jpg

20220929_164749~2.jpg

20220929_164234~2.jpg

20220929_164039~2.jpg

Welcome to the forum. As Greenstang said, your coin was damaged after it left the mint. Examples like this are posted on here every now and then. The theory is that the coin was caught between the inner and outer drums of a commercial dryer, and was worn down into its current shape. You can do an internet search for "dryer coin" and find numerous examples.

No. It's worth 25-cents if you can get someone at a local store to accept it. Now, if you send it to be certified and graded, it will be returned in a nice plastic holder that says "Damaged" and will cost you approximately $50. At that point the coin is still worth only 25-cents, so you will have wasted $49.75. Why not spend that money on some basic coin books, and stop looking at silly internet videos. [Or -- at least take the wife for a nice dinner.]

I'll leave it to others to suggest informative, truthful coin books. :)

Edited by RWB

I agree with JPM that it looks like a spooned coin, likely with some significant wear to begin with.  [The uneven and significantly indented edges from tapping with a spoon are clearly visible, and would not likely occur from rattling around in a dryer.]  Also, see the following topic I started on those coins a little while ago ...

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/429492-spooned-coins/

On 3/20/2023 at 11:30 AM, RWB said:

Now, if you send it to be certified and graded, it will be returned in a nice plastic holder that says "Damaged" and will cost you approximately $50. At that point the coin is still worth only 25-cents, so you will have wasted $49.75.

They sent NGC the quarter to begin with, so no credit and a $50 loss.  Also, if just that coin is sent in the op would loose more like $80 [shipping to NGC, $10 handling charge, $23 basic grading cost, plus $28 return shipping as a minimum], and get the coin back in a body bag as it's physically damaged from spooning.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 3/23/2023 at 8:04 PM, EagleRJO said:

I agree with JPM that it looks like a spooned coin, likely with some significant wear to begin with.  See the following topic I started on those coins a little while ago ...

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/429492-spooned-coins/

They sent NGC the quarter to begin with, so no credit and a $50 loss.  Also, if just that coin is sent in the op would loose more like $80 [shipping to NGC, $10 handling charge, $23 basic grading cost, plus $28 return shipping], and get the coin back in a body bag as it's physically damaged from spooning.

I'm just too optimistic....  ;)

On 3/20/2023 at 5:57 AM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the forum
A badly damaged dryer coin. Worth 25 cents if you can get someone to accept it.

Thank you for the information and im learning something new everyday