• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2015 P Blue Ridge Parkway - DDO/R-CUD?

6 posts in this topic

These are the best pictures I'm able to take using my phone; one day I'll be able to buy a USB microscope.
I've magnified the original photographs by 200x and highlighted the areas in question.
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
There might be some doubling in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and LIBERTY, but I'm wanting to focus on the more obvious for now.

2015 P Blue Ridge Parkway DDO.jpg

2015 P Blue Ridge Parkway DDO (QUARTER) 200x.jpg

2015 P Blue Ridge Parkway DDO (QUARTER) 200x Highlite.jpg

2015 P Blue Ridge Parkway DDO (DOLLAR) 200x.jpg

2015 P Blue Ridge Parkway DDO (DOLLAR) 200x Highlite.jpg

2015 P Blue Ridge Parkway DDO (IGWT P) 200x.jpg

2015 P Blue Ridge Parkway DDO (IGWT P) 200x Highlite.jpg

2015 P Blue Ridge Parkway REVERSE (Caterpillar) CUD Highlited.jpg

2015 P Blue Ridge Parkway REVERSE (Caterpillar) CUD Circled 200x.jpg

2015 P Blue Ridge Parkway REVERSE (Caterpillar) CUD 200x Highlited2.jpg

Edited by CBRD

Welcome CBRD.I think you have Mechanical doubling and a worn out die. The coin is very damaged from circulation even if it were something special the damage to the coin has made it unacceptable to most collectors.   

Edited by J P M

Welcome @CBRD.  I agree with JPM.  This coin has some technical doubling, and lots of damage.  Keep in mind that rarity and superb condition drive the coin market.  Unfortunately, this coin is neither.

Also, be careful with the USB microscope and 200X zooming.  Having such high magnification will likely make you see errors that do not exist.  Most graders use 5-7X magnification, and 10X is plenty for varieties and errors.

The truth about doubled dies is that they need to be pretty dramatic to be worth good money.  Very minor doubling is interesting and can help you to hone your skills, but it is not salable.

Sorry to be a downer, but if you get it early you will save yourself some grief later.  Again, welcome to the boards and the hobby.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 3/13/2023 at 9:47 PM, VKurtB said:

Scrap the USB microscope idea. It’s a virtually worthless tool. 

I second that.  A scope has a very limited practical use such as attributing a variety or checking die markers.  A collector is typically just looking at a coin, or at best using a 5x to 10x loupe or mag glass.

If I am not mistaken, NGC grades coins using 10X. An actual microscope is not necessary and also not useful. If you have to use 200X to see something on a coin, it is not going to affect its actual grade.

And yes, the quarter is highly circulated with mechanical doubling and enough wear that some details are actually worn off the coin.