• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to validate this coin?

7 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your coin is a 1976 Bicentennial Kennedy half dollar minted in Philadelphia in About Uncirculated condition. It is a very common coin, as over 234 million were issued.  The NGC Price Guide gives this coin a retail value of seventy-five cents ($0.75), but as a practical matter it is only worth face value. To access the NGC Price Guide, go to NGC Coin Price Guide and Values | NGC or go to the "Resources" tab on the NGC home page, see "Price Guides" and click "U.S. Coin Price Guide". If you are interested in becoming a collector, see the following topic in this forum for a fuller listing of print and online resources for new collectors:

On 3/9/2023 at 6:11 PM, Irvin ser said:

New to this. How I can obtain more information about this coin's worth. 

20230308_181713.jpg

20230308_181701.jpg

It’s a very nice coin. Very pretty. It has one problem - the number of them made was somewhere between absurd and obscene. And worse still, they were hoarded in HUUUUUGE numbers by collectors, MERELY BECAUSE THEY WERE DIFFERENT. There is an object lesson in there - “different” is pretty worthless. 

In the future, please crop your photos to minimize the background.  It is also better to post inquiries about different coins in different topics. See the following topic:

Your second coin is a 1922 Peace dollar, a common date silver dollar, with Extremely Fine to About Uncirculated details but somewhat impaired by rim damage.  It also may have been improperly "cleaned" or polished. An unimpaired example would have a retail value of $30.50 to $32.50 in these grades, but the impairments reduce the value.  The silver (0.7734 troy oz.) is currently worth about $15.50.

I agree with Sandon's assessment of both of these coins as for grade, and the possible cleaning of the Peace Dollar. As for the rim, on the Peace Dollar, being those were heavy silver dollars, and put into mint bags of 1000 per bag, the grading as far as considering those rim hits as damage is not always the case. If a rim is actually dented inward from the side it will get a details grade for rim damage, but I have several graded Morgans and Peace Dollars with rim hits like that and they have graded solidly. I don't know though where their tolerance limit is as far as the amount of rim hits where they consider it rim damage as the OP's has quite a few.