• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to all this
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The photos you posted would work, except that they should be cropped and could be better focused. See the following topic for detailed guidance on posting photos and inquiries on these forums:

Some additional advice: Never touch the surfaces of a collectible coin with your bare hands!  This may result in wear or corrosion to the coin, reducing its appeal and value. If you must touch a coin, hold it by its edges only.

On 3/8/2023 at 6:34 PM, Greenstang said:

Picture of coin is OK, background is not. It is the coin we are interested in seeing, not fingers.
Take a picture on a neutral background and crop to edge of coin. 

Neutral means black, gray, or white. 

Welcome to the forums, that looks like a cool coin, do you have any information about the coin itself?   It is advisable not to touch the face (obv or rev) of a coin with your fingers, the oils in our skin can react with the metal and damage the surface, gold is the least reactive of all metals but getting into the habit of holding coins by the edge only is a good thing.   We love to look at coin photos, and the easiest way to do that is to have the coin lay on a black, white or gray background when taking a photo, and then cropping the photo so as little of the background shows as possible, like this.

1853G1-obv.jpg

I always had trouble posting coins. All I have is a Samsung phone. I dont own a computer.  I finally downloaded an app from Google play that crops photos. I also had trouble with the photo being too big and had to download another photo compressor app. Its really helped me.

Welcome to the forum!  Pretty good for a first post, although it is a little blury when you zoom in.  If you put it on a neutral background as noted and stay close enough so auto-focus in on the coin it should come out a little better.

If you have a Samsung phone you can simply use the Gallery app to to do some basic editing like crop, rotate, focus, etc. like I did with the attached.  About your coin it's a Peru 1/5 Libra gold trade coin, but the date is too blurry to make out.

It has a hit on the coin which may drop it to the XF grade range, but it's hard to tell with a blurry pic and really not my area, so maybe some others can chime in on that.  See the following links with some info and values for that coin.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces25403.html

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/peru-1-5-libra-km-210-1906-1969-cuid-1095076-duid-1546872

To protect the coin you should soak it in acetone, which unlike may other methods will not damage the coin.  That will remove any fingerprints or oils from your hand, which are corrosive.  Then to protect the coin put it in a plastic coin capsule, or a holder like the one discussed as follows depending on your preference.  Don't use the 2x2 vinyl coin flips some dealers seem to prefer as you could cause "flip rub".

I realized I was just typing away as if you had asked for info and values on the coin, when it really was just about the pics.  But I decided to just leave it in case you were interested.

20230303_194910.jpg.966701236f8d19cfcb0b1b775a1a08cd.jpg

20230303_194921.jpg.74b06c5fea7bb36ac8eaabef8a0fcabd.jpg

ForumWelcome.png

Edited by EagleRJO