• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charmy's March 2023 ANA PHOENIX NATIONAL MONEY SHOW REPORT w/lots of Pics!
2 2

29 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2023 at 3:28 PM, zadok said:

...another great "i feel like i was there" tour....

I feel like you were there too. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/7/2023 at 1:24 PM, The Penny Lady said:

...mostly due to conflicts, but not having any conflicts....

Very sorry about your conflicts, and pleased to learn you are not having any at present. Let's think through this a little. Most daily conflicts are emotionally-based, so consider:

• What core concerns of yours are not being met?
  • If you are overwhelmed by the quantity of choices, try grouping different choices into sets, to shift your focus to smaller, more manageable options.
  • Plan to face conflict with an "out," or escape from the immediate situation. This can be temporary or permanent.
  • Be patient. Listen and watch the perpetrators/causes of emotional conflict.

If you would like to schedule an appointment with the admissions nurse, I can help you talk through these conflicts and possibly suggest ways to avoid, approach and resolve them in future. :)

[PS: Comfort of a warm pet can help break through emotional roadblocks, as can a hot, tasty slice of pizza. Please remember which is which.]

Edited by RWB

On 3/7/2023 at 12:24 PM, The Penny Lady said:

folks who found an unusual anomaly on a penny and think it may be very valuable,

Now where have I seen this before? Hmm. Oh yeah, I remember. Here!

Some nice exhibits.....nice pics, Charmy. (thumbsu

I remember at FUN 2020 they had the $100,000 note with Woodrow Wilson.  I have pics SOMEWHERE, probably on my smartphone back 3 years. xD

Reading that book on the gold clauses, I believe the largest Gold Certificate denomination was $10,000 with Chase on it.

On 3/8/2023 at 12:16 PM, VKurtB said:

I have not seen ANY major coin show that did NOT have a nice turnout. Not even one. This should not be a surprise to anyone. Even this one in Phoenix was “decent”. It wasn’t “in line out the door waiting to register”, but good enough. One measure: it was hard to find a seat at the seating area next to the food concessionaire at peak meal times. Even the dealers (all tables sold out) skewed heavily southwest. I was taking ID’s from people (enhanced security) and Arizona, Nevada and California predominated. 

Bottom line: stay online if that’s what floats your boat, but we’ll carry on in the real world without “face diapers”, thank you very much. 

I would love to go to a show. I have not been in the right place at the right time so far. Next year I will try to plan my travels differently if posable to try to pick up some shows.   

On 3/8/2023 at 12:16 PM, VKurtB said:

I have not seen ANY major coin show that did NOT have a nice turnout. Not even one. This should not be a surprise to anyone. Even this one in Phoenix was “decent”. It wasn’t “in line out the door waiting to register”, but good enough. One measure: it was hard to find a seat at the seating area next to the food concessionaire at peak meal times. Even the dealers (all tables sold out) skewed heavily southwest. I was taking ID’s from people (enhanced security) and Arizona, Nevada and California predominated.  Bottom line: stay online if that’s what floats your boat, but we’ll carry on in the real world without “face diapers”, thank you very much. 

I'm sure the show administrators have all the numbers on dealers and tables....but what about retail traffic ?

On 3/8/2023 at 12:44 PM, J P M said:

I would love to go to a show. I have not been in the right place at the right time so far. Next year I will try to plan my travels differently if posable to try to pick up some shows.   

The Bay State show near you is a nice regional and appears to be growing the last 5-7 years.

On 3/8/2023 at 2:23 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm sure the show administrators have all the numbers on dealers and tables....but what about retail traffic ?

It sure LOOKS robust. And it always was, at any show that was held. But yeah, the canceled ones were poorly attended. Only one show truly offended me - Colorado Springs last year because of the mask mandate. Even Rosemont 2021 was only “masks recommended”. I haven’t worn a mask since late 2020 in my home region. And no, I never got COVID and I’m a Guinea Pig for an RSV vaccine clinical trial. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/8/2023 at 2:23 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

They have the data for retail customers too. Never doubt that. Even club shows have that info. 

On 3/7/2023 at 5:44 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Charmy, your posts are so enjoyable.

I think you are the most famous coin dealer of all time!!!

She’s sure in the very top echelon, but all time??? That’s a huge number of truly famous folks! Max Mehl, Stack’s, Steinmetz, etc.? But I take your point. She’s really great and a true pro who arrives prepared (unlike some scatterbrains). She is NOT a PITA to show staff and volunteers. 

On 3/8/2023 at 9:35 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

That's the Flu-Covid combo pill/shot, right ?

It’s a newer virus that is especially dangerous to the elderly and very young. I got a jab about six months ago. I have no way to know if I got the active vaccine or the placebo. But either way, I haven’t had any cold-like crud in over 3 years. 

On 3/8/2023 at 7:16 PM, VKurtB said:

I have not seen ANY major coin show that did NOT have a nice turnout. Not even one. This should not be a surprise to anyone. Even this one in Phoenix was “decent”. It wasn’t “in line out the door waiting to register”, but good enough. One measure: it was hard to find a seat at the seating area next to the food concessionaire at peak meal times. this website for real money games, skewed heavily southwest. I was taking ID’s from people (enhanced security) and Arizona, Nevada and California predominated. 

Bottom line: stay online if that’s what floats your boat, but we’ll carry on in the real world without “face diapers”, thank you very much. 

I don't think it's fair to dismiss the importance of online platforms (especially given the current pandemic situation). I feel more comfortable conducting my transactions online.
Anyway, don't take it seriously, it's just a thought I had to say...:preach:

Edited by ThommyCoiny

On 4/27/2023 at 5:15 PM, ThommyCoiny said:

I just heard in Asia there is a new form of it.
But ok, sorry guys, if I've said smth not fit*:sorry:

“Asia” will be cranking out new ones every few months responding to purchase orders. It’s just what they do. There’s an entire industry in Wuhan for that very purpose.

On 4/27/2023 at 1:38 PM, ThommyCoiny said:

I don't think it's fair to dismiss the importance of online platforms (especially given the current pandemic situation). I feel more comfortable conducting my transactions online.

The CURRENT situation would seem to have less than 1% of the impact of 2-3 years ago.  A non-event.

On 4/28/2023 at 12:00 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

The CURRENT situation would seem to have less than 1% of the impact of 2-3 years ago.  A non-event.

...totally agree, the current status is non-impacting in virtually all aspects of our everyday lives, especially so in numismatic activities...even the status 2-3 years ago was mostly over reaction n incompetency...re online coining n in-person coining, true one can buy coins online but thats not really participating in the hobby...the in person interaction is where its all at....

On 4/28/2023 at 8:43 AM, zadok said:

...totally agree, the current status is non-impacting in virtually all aspects of our everyday lives, especially so in numismatic activities...even the status 2-3 years ago was mostly over reaction n incompetency...re online coining n in-person coining, true one can buy coins online but thats not really participating in the hobby...the in person interaction is where its all at....

Unless you’re collecting from your mommy’s basement….