• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

duplicate holder labels?

10 posts in this topic

I have come across 2 coins that both are the same year/mint ect.. and both coins have the same cert#.... Both sellers are very reputable and do not think either is up to no good. I already own one of them and just might buy the other as well. So my question is does this happen alot or perhaps the grader just mislabeled one coin? As I said I dont think the sellers at fault here.  Thoughts?

Well that sounds like one or both could be in fake holders. Can you post a picture of the front and reverse. There is not much we can say about it without seeing it? It would be good to let others be aware of this issue.

Edited by J P M

I will post pics after I get some more input on this. I dont want to loose out on a possable error as Ive seen some slabs sell for way over coin value for mistakes in the past.

here are the pics. The first 2 are the one I purchased from a dealer that has been selling all 4498049 run of coins for while now. I have bought several from them and watched many many others in the same 4498049 run. So please give me your thoughts? Is it possable that NGC may have labeled 2 the same by accident? I mean why go through the trouble on a 15/20 dollar coin ?

Screenshot (46).png

Screenshot (47).png

Screenshot (48).png

Screenshot (49).png

It could be a mechanical error, it could be that one of the sellers is using that as a stock photo, cannot say for sure.   You say you bought one, did you receive the coin yet and is that the actual cert number on the coin you received?   If yes have you contacted the other seller to let him know that you also have a coin with the same cert number he is selling and is he certain that he also has a coin with that cert number?

Edited by Coinbuf

It's likely that the dealer is using the photo of the coin in the photo that you bought as a "stock photo", and the coin you order now would have a different invoice number (the number before the dash) or line number (the number after the dash) that identifies the specific coin in the invoice.  

One of the pages says a double dated Nickel the other does not. The NGC label does not say a double date on the label?

Dealers using stock photos is common, so seeing that holder and certification number on a listing even though you purchased that coin may just be the dealer is still using the same coin as a stock photo.

Also, the NGC certification number is composed of a 6 or 7 digit invoice number, a dash, and then a 3 digit coin number associated with that invoice.  They may have submitted a large number of coins at the same time to save money and they would all have the same invoice number, but a distinct coin number.

I do know from selling on eBay when you make a listing, their new listing tool asks you if you want to use an image already used by another seller or skip to use your own images. It doesn't ask you that if you are using preloaded templates. I don't play that game as I use my own template with new images, but it is an option that eBay allows in their listing tool. I would ask both sellers if they used the preloaded photo in their listing tool as a way to start. That may answer your question of which seller had the original coin.

From what I can see, both sellers accept returns before 30 days, so you have little risk if you got both and found this anomaly. You could always determine from the NGC images which is the coin that should be in the holder by looking up the submission number and then bust the seller who sent you the fake one by opening a case with eBay. I am guessing one of the sellers was lazy and didn't want to do the work to photo their own coin and just used the preloaded images.