• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I found an odd looking quarter. What is this?

15 posts in this topic

Found a quarter in reject bin of coinstar.  What is this? Is this real or fake? It weighed approx. 4.93 grams.  It has the appearance of struck-through grease, but wanted to ask.  

front1999VirginiaQuarter.jpeg

reverse.jpeg

rimofquarter.jpeg

reverseweighted.jpeg

I may have to throw the challenge flag here. The rim on these quarters is not that high to begin with. Would not the acid also eat the height of the rim down as well if it etched away that much of the details of the coin? That ridge on the reverse almost makes me think of an early capped die.

I have my own question while speaking as I have only seen capped dies on Lincoln cents with a smooth rim, would a capped die on a reeded edge flatten out the reeds making the rim smooth? Also, if it were a capped die, how would that affect the clad layer?

Since you got it out of a Coinstar it also obviously circulated and took on some other damage, but I can't get over how at least the reverse looks like an early capped die.

I don't see any inner core showing and from the weight there has been quite a lot of metal lost, which would probably expose any inner core if it was a coin with that, so it may be an older silver quarter that took a good acid bath.  Keep it for the melt value along with other old silver coins not worth more than melt.

Also, the rim on a coin is a more dense metal from being rolled and upset, so it would be eaten away at a slower rate.

Edit:  I stand corrected as I was just looking at the pic of the coin on the scale.  It has been identified as a more modern clad statehood quarter (cupro-nickel clad quarter with a copper core), with other pics clearly show a copper core that I just quickly skipped past without really looking at them.

US Mint 2022 Coin Specs.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

My bad, checking the weight as long as the OP's scale is accurately calibrated then I agree on the acid bath, but if someone could chime in on my questions on this topic in my first comment I would appreciate those answers.

On 3/6/2023 at 1:08 AM, Sandon said:

Perhaps you shouldn't stay up so late!  The coin has a red rim all around it, so it's clad. Some of the copper core is showing through on the obverse as well. Moreover, it's a Virginia state quarter, struck in 2000. 

Yea, I skipped right to the pic of the coin on the scale, while the other pics clearly show a copper core.  I stand corrected.

reverseweighted.jpeg.7da40ca82cc89c0f7d209467340c3e2e.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 3/5/2023 at 11:44 PM, powermad5000 said:

Would a capped die on a reeded edge flatten out the reeds making the rim smooth? 

I don't believe a capped die would normally have any noticable effect on the reeding. 

Edited by Just Bob

Yikes! This one looks like it might have been in Jamal Khashoggi‘s pocket when he was killed and disposed of in acid. What? Too soon?

Possibly --- your coin was used as a seat cushion for one of those cable "reality" shows like "My 1,000 Pound Existence" ? The quarter's appearance might have been caused by a combination of pressure and corrosive out-gassing.

;)

Edited by RWB