• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 quarter

9 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2023 at 4:56 PM, Timb45 said:

Is this worth getting graded 

9D1E1F3D-E726-4BB7-A934-2DE6CC3E0489.jpeg

8D5F4DB0-25E3-485D-B89F-93A5A75CA6DA.jpeg

It’s barely worth looking at. No. 

On 2/28/2023 at 11:05 PM, EagleRJO said:

I am just curious why you might think it may be a coin worth submitting for grading.

First thought I had! I would think that if a person can find a coin forum, they should be able to find the value of a 1972 circulated and damaged quarter. 25c

My guess is that the OP looks at the quarter and sees the damage as cuds or other "errors".  We take for granted the understanding of grading fees and values of coins.  We also take for granted the ability to look at a coin and quickly tell that the coin is damaged.  

I have to assume that the OP is new to the hobby.  Should (s)he do a google search for 1972 Error Quarter, or cud or anything like that.... they will wind-up at Etsy or YouTube and get a head full of bad information.  Researching blindly can do more bad than good.  The resources that newbies find first guide them into thinking that errors are the path to numismatic riches (we know this is not true, but the newbie does not).

@Timb45 the others above are correct.  Your coin is worth 25 cents, and it's just a damaged quarter.  I see you are new with only a few posts, so welcome to the forum.  You may feel a slight sting in the bluntness of reaction to your coin.  Please understand that new posters show-up almost daily with damaged coins, and sometimes insist that their damaged coins are errors.  Almost all of them also mention that they intend on submission.

If you study the minting process, you will better understand how errors occur, and how they cannot.  Also, get a good handle on grading, how coins grade and the fees for submission.  Submissions costs are not cheap, especially when you pay the shipping and insurance both ways.  If your intention is to submit a coin, it's a good idea to understand how it would grade and the relative value before spending the money.  Otherwise, you will be out the money and continuously discouraged - and that's not a fun way to start out in the hobby.

Good luck, and don't be too quick to drop those submission fees until your eyes are able to discern between an error/damage and closely estimate the state of preservation.