• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone explain this ?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

If this is the first identification, that is top the OP's advantage. Now he has to do some research among FDR dime collectors. If it turns out to a desirable variety, then it should be independently evaluated.

Thanks to all that responded to this post. I was unable to find any information about this coin or any like it. What should I do with now? Any advice would be appreciated.

On 2/23/2023 at 11:40 AM, Bart M said:

Thanks to all that responded to this post. I was unable to find any information about this coin or any like it. What should I do with now? Any advice would be appreciated.

This is normally NOT my best advice, but this LOOKS LIKE a legit error AND it may not have been previously documented (Note to all beginners: BOTH MUST BE TRUE, NOT JUST ONE!). In this circumstance only, I recommend sending it in to NGC for authentication. Ask for it to be labeled “Discovery Coin”. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/23/2023 at 10:40 AM, Bart M said:

What you should do depends on what you want to do with this coin.   If you plan to keep it then all you need to do is place it in a safe container and label it as a die gouge.   If your plan is to sell then I would suggest that you contact one of the well known error dealers and ask their advice on if they think this is a real mint error.   They should be able to give you more information on if one of the major TPG's (third party grading companies like NGC) will grade and slab as a mint error and ballpark value estimate of what something like this might be worth as is or slabbed.   There are a few but the only one I know of right off is Sullivan Numismatics, here is a link to that website.

Link

Just pondering this for a bit, the letters in AMERICA all seem to be sitting at the same level (height) above the two lines rounding underneath the letters. I would think if there was a die gouge, the letters would be "wavy" in height above the field as the metal flow during the strike would be partially diverted from the letters into the gouge. I could be totally wrong on this. I don't see how in the minting process those curved lines could be a part of the strike as they do not travel across the entire reverse of the coin, so I am leaning towards the original planchet having a defect. Being it is not "too minor" as in some errors not attributed by NGC as a mint error, but there is enough of the reverse image disturbed and is also easily visible to the naked eye, I would definitely submit this coin as a mint error and see what NGC thinks of it.

On 2/23/2023 at 12:36 PM, Just Bob said:

Is it possible that the collar came loose and was struck twice by the reverse die, causing two grooves in the die, which created the two raised lines?

I agree Bob that looks like a double rim hit on the reverse die. I would put it away. Or you could send it to CONECA if they give it a label then a TPG co. may put it on there label ? It may not be worth the cost, that is your choice (thumbsu

https://conecaonline.org/attribution-services/

On 2/24/2023 at 6:56 AM, J P M said:

I agree Bob that looks like a double rim hit on the reverse die. I would put it away. Or you could send it to CONECA if they give it a label then a TPG co. may put it on there label ? It may not be worth the cost, that is your choice (thumbsu

https://conecaonline.org/attribution-services/

Yeah, CONECA is a good idea. 

On 2/22/2023 at 2:06 PM, Greenstang said:

It looks raised which means it is some sort of a die gouge.

Edit

Edited by GBrad

On 2/23/2023 at 12:36 PM, Just Bob said:

Is it possible that the collar came loose and was struck twice by the reverse die, causing two grooves in the die, which created the two raised lines?

Extremely plausible idea Bob.  This is a good one for sure.

Edited by GBrad

On 2/26/2023 at 2:58 AM, GBrad said:

Extremely plausible idea Bob.  This is a good one for sure.

You know what this means if this actually happened and there was a planchet in the coining chamber at the time, don't you? It means that there may be a coin out there, struck partially out of the collar, with at least one collar-shaped groove in it. Unfortunately, if the finder posts this genuine error coin on this forum, most of us are going to see the groove, call it post-mint damage, and tell him/her to spend it.

On 2/27/2023 at 1:24 PM, Just Bob said:

You know what this means if this actually happened and there was a planchet in the coining chamber at the time, don't you? It means that there may be a coin out there, struck partially out of the collar, with at least one collar-shaped groove in it. Unfortunately, if the finder posts this genuine error coin on this forum, most of us are going to see the groove, call it post-mint damage, and tell him/her to spend it.

You might be right that a possible matching coin is called out as having PMD as circular groves like you describe can be caused by coin wrappers,

Thanks for posting your dime on the forum Bart!

From your inquiry, I learned for myself that there is enough pressure on the planchet from the dies to make the metal flow into all spaces, even larger erroneous spaces. I am always grateful to learn more.

With the explanation you now have, I am wondering if you are planning on submitting it as a mint error? The dime itself has lost full torch designation but still seems to be in the low MS range (60-62). I don't know if you are a member of either NGC or PCGS already and would not have to incur that as an additional cost to submitting the dime, but if so, I think if the coin were to sell it would come close to at least a break even on the grading costs. Might even make a little more if bidders in an auction started a bidding war.